Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Group b strep UTI

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
After an annoying two weeks of being misdiagnosed and given the wrong antibiotics, my gynocologist had my urine cultured and said while i was negative for regular UTI, my culture revealed group b strep in the range of 50,000-100,000 colonies. she said that this meant i had a group b strep UTI and needed to be given the right antibiotics. because i am allergic to pennicillan, the best treatment option, i was given clindamycin. i started yesterday and will be on it for 5 days.

my symptoms are just slightly painful urination and at the end of each urination, pain when i whipe (burning). i've had 2 pelvic exams in which the dr. says everything looks fine and normal down there. the pain is still occuring, after only one day of treamtent and i am also on a probiotic which helps ease the pain a bit. the dr. says i have no stds, so this should not be the problem.

does anyone have experience with group b strep UTI? what treatments did you get? did they work? also, what i really want to know is why this happened to me? most cases seem to be in pregant women, but i am a non pregnant 33 year old woman. does this mean i am unhealthy because the group b caused this in me?

thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|