Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

groin and thigh pain after hip revision

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
i had a hip revision in 2005, for the past two years i have been having pain in the groin and down the middle of my thigh. i get a popping sensation at times and at other times find it hard to move. i am only 33 yrs old and would like some relief
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am assuming that you had a hip replacement...I know if you had this in 2005 that you are supposed to go to your Orthopedist every year for a check up...At least this is true with my husband...He just passed his one year annual checkup...I also know that sometimes that they have to "tweak" something inside if it goes out of line...This may be the popping and pain you are feeling...I would definately call and make an appointment with him and have this taken care of...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied February 19th, 2010
the biggest lie orthopeadic surgeons tell young patients needed hip replacement is we need to put this of as long as possible becouse we can only do this one . thats a lie to put young hip patients of haveing a total hip replacement.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
groin pain could indicate a problem with the acitabulum ie is it loose ? that could cause groin pain , but consult youy orthopeadic surgeon he or she knows more than me .
|

replied January 17th, 2012
Thigh pain following total hip replacement
I had a total hip replacement 8 months ago due to Avascular Necrosis. After 3 spontaneous anterior dislocations within 2 months I ended up having a revision total hip replacement. This one has been successful with one exception. I am continuing to experience significant pain in the affected thigh. Is this normal? I also feel a click in the prosthetic joint. I am 55 yr old female.
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
dgb4au,

No, pain after a total joint is not normal. However, it is not uncommon. But, the etiology for the pain needs to be determined. Micromotion at the tip of the femoral stem can cause thigh pain. But, other, more serious causes, such as an indolent infection need to be ruled out.

Clicking in a joint can come from many sources. And, again, the etiology of it needs to be determined, before a treatment can be undertaken.

You should speak with your surgeon concerning the thigh pain.

Good luck.
|

replied June 21st, 2012
groin pain after a hip revision
my wife is only in her forties and has had a hip revision 3 years ago and has bad pain in her groin for all 3 years. she has had all kinds of test and x-rays and so far no infections at all. the doctors are saying every thing looks good, and yet she has groin pain every day. we are going to see a 4th doctor to see if we can get this fixed. I am going to say that the pain is coming from a tendon or a muscle that is being irritated by the hip replacement parts. not sure that can be fixed.
|

replied July 26th, 2012
i am a 47 yr old female. i had THR just 3 months ago due to OA and a malformed hip joint. My leg on that side was also 1 inch shorter than the other. I have a cementless titanium stem and ceramic cup. i have been experiencing thigh pain, extreme numbness of the front of my pelvis and pain in my groin and outer hip area and in buttock on that side. i cannot tolerate sleeping on that side at all. i take Neurontin, Elavil and Ambien for Fibromyalgia yet this does nothing for the numbness and pain around the hip. I havent taken any pain meds for weeks as the doctor said he thinks its my Fibro but its not. The groin pain is worst when getting in and out of bed or the car and also when having to stand or walk for more than 15 minutes. Im frustrated.. I havent been able to work for over a yr now and cant take NSAIDS as i had a severe GI bleed just last yr. Any suggestions would be helpful..
|
Tags: hip, hip pain
Quick Reply