Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Grinding in left hip when leg turned outward

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I will try to explain this as best as i can. For the past three months i have had a loud grinding in my left hip. It recently seems to be getting louder. So here is when it happens. When i sit to watch tv i often sit up with my legs stretched out on the couch. I usually lay my left leg to the side while its bent. Imagine my right leg is straight and my left leg is bent where as my left foot is against the inside of my right knee. My left leg is lying on the couch and it kind of forms a triangle while my right leg stays straight. I hope this is clear, i really do not know how else to explain it. Anyway when i got to get up and turn my left leg straight i get a very loud grinding noise from my hip. I am only 33 years old but i have spent years weightlifting and playing sports. I had left knee meniscus surgery about 6 years ago. I am concerned that this is going to get worse. Any ideas on why this may be happening? Thanks

Frank
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 3rd, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi pumanator and welcome to ehealth: I would guess that you are or have developed Arthritis in your hip...This is from the wear and tear of joints...It probably was made worse with your sports and weight lifting...If and when it bothers you,n take a Ibuprofen or pain pill...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 28th, 2011
my left leg hurts from the hip the buttocks area and behind the thigh when lying down and lift my leg up and bring it down there is a grinding noise i was never involved in sports but three four years ago i tried jogging for about a year i have had this pain constantly for two years what is my problem
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I am 18 and i have the exact problem. I played football since the 4th grade and lifted weights in football since 7th grade. I quit football at 9th grade due to pain in my right hip, had surgery because cartilage had fallen off and they reformed it. Both hips got worse and left hip started grinding when i do what you described. Recently had surgery on both hips for a snapping hip, It is where the tendant is caught in your hip joint and is unable to get out so it strings over like plucking a guitar string when you move, that's what causes pain. Now i have yet to find out why my hip grinds but im guessing that the cartilage is gone on my left just like on my right. So go to the doctor, get x-ray and tell them that your may have a snapping hip and the cartilage may have come off of your hip.
|
Quick Reply