Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Green oily discharge from anus

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
I have a green oily blobs coming out of my butt hole a day long and evwn when i go to the bath room i have been eating orange roughy for the pas 2 anhalf weks for lunch and chicken for dinner i am on a diet can i die from this discharge or is it from the fish that i am eating and howcan i get rid of this it start right after i starded eating the fish. i eat 5 0z of orange roughy and 4 oz of chicken a day and aspairgrass and spanch to and two apples a day. plase help me

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A12283
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.
You would like to know whether eating fish the day before can cause a sudden onset of green oily stools.
The colour of normal faeces is from yellow to brown. It may be sometimes colored greenish or reddish due to the food consumed the day before, vegetables like salads and beetroot. Iron supplements can cause black colored stools which is normal. Food rich in fats gives a yellowish color to the stool, as with pork meat, nuts, peanuts, cashews, etc.
Like its relative the oilfish (Ruvettus pretiosus), escolar also known as orange roughy cannot metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet. This gives the escolar an oil content of 14–25% in its flesh. These wax esters may cause gastrointestinal distress in humans called "keriorrhea", the onset of which may occur between 30 minutes and 36 hours following consumption. Symptoms may include stomach cramps, loose bowel movements, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Your green oily stools could be because of the fish orange roughy
To minimize the risk of symptoms, control of portion size is recommended as well as preparation methods that remove some of the oil. Grilling will greatly reduce the heavy fat content in the fish, making it edible without ill side-effects. You can reduce the portions of orange roughy further.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.