Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

gray hair in scalp moles

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
I've been searching the net for some help with this. I have identical 14 yr old twin boys, both of whom have numerous moles over their bodies. I noticed about a yr or so ago that the one boy had a patch of gray hair. Since then I've noticed about 5-6 spots on his head that have about 20 or more gray hairs. Each cluster of gray seems to sprout from a light coloured non-raised mole. I've taken him to our doctor who admitted he'd never seen something like this and is in the process of researching it. He said it's likely nothing of concern but will probably refer him to a dermotoligist. Unfortunately - it could take several months to get in to see one. I should also add that he also has several body moles with white rings around them, which I pointed out to the doctor.
Family history of skin cancer, as far as I know is only 1 maternal uncle, of many relatives.
Obviously we're rather concerned. I've seen premature graying in teens - but it seems very odd to me given they're identical twins, no history of pre-mature gray in family, and sprouting from numerous moles.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 13th, 2009
Hi! I'm a 21 year old girl who just got a mole checked out today at the dermatologist. These are halo moles, and what it is, is the body trying to destroy the moles (they probably aren't dangerous, the body will just do it for some reason). In killing the mole, the cells that create pigment are destroyed as well. The doctor said my hair color may come back in a few years, and to just keep an eye on the mole.
|

replied April 14th, 2012
Mole with grey hair
I had one of these 35 years ago and no one knew what it was so I had surgery and they removed it. WOW!!

They just froze my head and layed me facedown on a pillow at 12 years old and cut it out. Told me to lay still and I remember bleeding so much that the pillow was soaked and I almost suffocated on my own blood.

Good to know it wasn't serious because I've been researching my sons AVM in his brain at 12 and doctors said its so rare but could be hireditary.
|

replied February 28th, 2009
12 Yr. boy has same mole/gray hair
Hi! Did you decide to take your boys to the dermatologist? I just noticed the same thing with my 12 yr. old son. Are your boys pretty fair skinned?
|

replied March 27th, 2009
gray hair and halo mole
my 16 year old son has a also halo mole on his back and a gray patch in his hair. I did not think of the gray patch as a mole also until I read your post, i had just assumed it was some sort of birth mark. I decided to look on the net to see what info i could find and came upon this forum. After what I have read we will be seeing a doc soon and ask about the halo mole and gray patch just to be on the safe side. I am not overly concerned though because most of what I have read on other sites is that the body has just decided to get rid of the mole for one reason or another and that is how it does it. After a few years the mole is supposed to dissapear and that in most cases it is not cancer.
|

replied October 12th, 2012
curious I know your post is several years old. what did you find out? My son has a moles with grey hair and dr says its nothing to worry . we can remove it but its not cancer or anything.
|

replied July 4th, 2009
mole on scalp
I am not sure if this is the same thing but my 13 year old son has a raised mole (I think it is a mole) on his head and it seems to have short thick hair type things coming out of it. It doesn't seem to hurt or bother him in any way but I am very concerned about this. Is this similar to the same thing on your sons head?
|

replied July 7th, 2009
My son's moles are also slightly raised, sort of pinkish. Interestingly, the first mole that appeared is almost gone. I think his body really did decide to try to kill that mole and that is what destroyed the pigment in his hair. The hair that is growing around it is very thick and coarse and gray. I did take him to a dermatologist and they decided to do a biopsy to be on the safe side. we should get the results this week. I also should mention that we give him a vitamin D supplement since we live in Pittsburgh and don't get much sun. The doctor thought that perhaps the Vitamin D could have something to do with it. (Maybe it sort of "super charged" his immune system to attack the mole) I would take your son to a dermatologist just to give you some peace of mind.
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Halo Moles/ gray hair
Thanks to all of you for the info, I too have a daughter, not son that has the same thing. I have tried to google the information on this and found you all. Yes she has the halo moles and took her to the doctor and said the same that they are harmless. But she has two of these spots on her head. The same "mole" , it got to the point that it just flaked off and then left a gray spot. If the halo moles are related then we should be fine. I am going to get her back with the derm. to double check. I was not that happy with the first one and found more info on the net.
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Mole
Hi wichylady71,
The problem you just told to me is quiet similar with the mole I see on my brother's scalp.

Do you see the white colored thick hair growing on the mole? if yes, did you consult docter? what does he say about it?
|

replied January 3rd, 2010
Re: mole on scalp
wichylady71 wrote:
I am not sure if this is the same thing but my 13 year old son has a raised mole (I think it is a mole) on his head and it seems to have short thick hair type things coming out of it. It doesn't seem to hurt or bother him in any way but I am very concerned about this. Is this similar to the same thing on your sons head?

Hi wichylady71,
The problem you told is quiet similar with the mole I see on my brother's scalp.

Do you see the white colored thick hair growing on the mole? if yes, did you consult docter? what does he say about it?
|

replied June 16th, 2010
I'm 28 and have had this same thing happen to me. Had 2 of them on my face (jawline) disapper about 5 years ago. The only problem is it still grows white hair in those spots, so if I do not shave every day it's kinda ugly. Still haven't found a fix.
|

replied May 5th, 2011
red spot, white hair on the scalp
im 23 years old and i just noticed a small patch of white hair growing on the very top of my head, as i examined it closer i saw that it was growing out of a red spot on my scalp. is this a mole? i didnt know moles could be red, or grow on the scalp
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi male23 and welcome to ehealth: Only a doctor can tell you if this is a mole...I would be tempted to have this checked out...When white hair appears around an otherwise natural hair head, I would question if an injury has happened or if for some reason the hair on this area has died out...Moles do grow on your scalp...Actually they can grow anywhere on your body...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied June 6th, 2011
help
umm i was wondering is my friend is 15 and she has a grey patch on the back of her head that she has had since she was born.Her mom and dad told her that it was a birthmark. Could that be possible or no and if so what do you think it might be??
|

replied December 30th, 2012
Hi not sure if any of you will still see this? did you find any answers? i am 23 and have 2 white patches..surrounding small red slightly raised moles...
When i was 20 the first few grey hairs appeared before becoming a proper white patch.. then the second only arrived a few months ago.. both since the moles appeared/grew on my head... i now seem to have patch number 3 forming!!! has anybody else had more patches appearing after the first?
I did go to the docs originally and he just told me i had a mole and that was all.. maybe i should get a second opinion??
|