Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Grade 2 anterolisthesis with severe...

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
My CT report says Grade 2 anterolisthesis with severe right and severe left neural foraminal narrowing secondary to the listhesis and pseudo disc bulging which encroaches the neural foramona bilaterally. Can someone tell me what that means? I am scheduled for epidural injections for pain relief.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper unclesteve
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Experienced User
I would ask the doctor to explain it so you understand it. If he didn't , I would be seeking another doctor.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
That is easier said than done. I don't care for my doctor, she doesn't explain anything, but the pain is unbearable and she is the only local pain management doctor on my insurance. That is the reason I asked in this forum.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Experienced User
I understand that. I travel 200 miles to my pain Dr. . Not easy to do when you need a driver at times.

I am not familiar with those medical terms but maybe this reply will bump it up to the top and someone that is more knowledgeable will respond.

I had undirected epidurals in 2000. They didn't seem to do much good. Last year I had 3 of the directed . The first gave me an incredible relief from pain. Not complete but it was the difference between sitting in my recliner or laying on the floor with my legs up on the couch , taking up to 15 vicoden a day, and only sleeping maybe 30 minutes at a time. The next two helped but not nearly as dramatic of results.

I hope you get the relief I did.

I did take my mri to a chiropracter and am trying accupuncture. He took it and explained it to me , probably better than my pain doc. Migtht be an option for you. The first appointment was $50.
|
Users who thank unclesteve for this post: met122 

replied March 25th, 2012
Thank you. Do you get relief from accupuncture? I tried yoga through a physical therapist but it made the pain in my legs worse. Being in a warm pool is the only thing that gives me relief.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Experienced User
I did 2 accupuncture treatments last week. The chiro suggested a total of 4 and then seeing what results I get. I would say the leg pain is less , so far. I seem to have more pain in my hip right side . The orthopedist diagnosed me with arthritis in that hip so I am wondering if that may be the source of the pain and it was being somewhat masked before. Also in that area I think some of it is from a hernia operation I had about 1 1/2 years ago. Not really pain but more of a discomfort.

I have heard many experience relief from yoga. Too bad it did not help you. I love when we travel and always try to find a motel with hot tub. I try to do a small stretching and strengthening routine every morning. I find it easy to skip as it increases the pain for a period of time.

How long until your epidurals? Mine were a pretty pleasant experience. The staff was all nice. I took 2 without anesthesia and 1 with. The anesthesia helps but if not you can tough it out and get through it. About a minute or less of pain and they were done.

I am an (almost) 50 year old farmer/rancher who also did 21 years as a volunteer fireman. My Dr says a large portion of his patients are farmers or firemen. Guess I was pretty stupid.

Hope you get relief soon.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Hi. My epidural is in 3 days, I am going to be have something to relax me but I will be awake. I am praying for relief, even for a week or two. I am so tired of being in pain. Thank you for all the information, it really helps.
|

replied March 25th, 2012
Experienced User
Even though you feel alone and isolated , there are a lot of us in the same boat. Next time you go somewhere look around and I bet you can identify a lot of fellow back pain sufferers.

My first epidural, my wife was unable to go along and drive, so I got a motel room about a mile from the surgery center. Actually walked to the epidural and took a cab back. Laid down from about noon until the next morning. Drove the 200 miles home the next day. By the second morning it was amazing.

Have you tried laying on the floor and put your legs up on the couch? I was so desperate I tried it and it really takes the pressure off. I have run across several people who have said it works for them.
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Experienced User
I thought of another thing that can help sometimes. I think it is sort of biofeedback. I imagine myself in a crowded room. The noise level is quite loud .As people leave the noise level goes down.

Sometimes it works , others not. Might be worth a try .
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Thank you. Its nice to know I am not alone. I will try everything, it cannot hurt
|

replied March 26th, 2012
Experienced User
anterolisthesis means the upper vertebral body is positioned abnormally compared to the vertebral body below it. More specifically, the upper vertebral body slips forward on the one below.
foramen is a hole in the vertebrae that nerve from spinal cord pass through it,so in you case,the hole narrowed so the bone make pressure on the nerve and you feel pain.
|
Users who thank muhamad for this post: met122 

replied March 29th, 2012
I had the epidural today and I am feeling a lot of pressure. In fact I have to much pressure to sit up. Is this a normal side effect?
|

replied March 29th, 2012
Experienced User
They told me that the pain can actually increase for up to 48 hours. If you think about it you will understand why. The area is already inflamed and there is pressure on your nerves. They add quite a bit of fluid which will cause the increase in pressure and possibly even pain.

It should pass. Just do as instructed.
|