Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

GP refusing to test for micro-albumin

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
clinical history:
NON-Diabetic, very healthy 23yo male, kidney ultrasound normal, tested negative for urine protein but no micro-alubumin test was done. previous history of acute isolated Microscopic hematuria (normochromic & normocytic 15 RBC WBC in urine) for 4 months that have disappeared and no remission so far and no previous history of gross hematuria. No Creatinine clearance test was done. blood serum creatinine stable at 0.78mg (no previous history of rising). No UTI or renal tubular cells nor casts found. normal bloodwork, all blood test values normal. no previous history of major illnesses and diseases, no family members with genetic inherited kidney diseases. No present ongoing chronic illness or diseases.

if needed, all detailed lab reports and test values is immediately available on request, please let me know.

awhile back my urine started to become extremely foamy (2 inches thick), after testing negative for protein (Nil) i asked my GP if he can test me for any presence of micro-albumin in urine with the "micro-albumin test", he refuses on grounds that i do not have diabetes and hypertension.

the reason why i wanted to get tested for microalbumin, is because i'm worried that albumin and/or microalbumin is causing the foamy urine which is signaling kidney failure. my GP says that an albumin and protein detection were all already done as a single "protein test" alltogether, and that the results shows zero protein.

urinalysis-
[Protein]: Nill.

he says that because i've never had any diabetes in the past, and don't currently have any diabetes at present, there's no need to test me for micro-albumin in my urine, because i'm not diabetic and my BP is great 135/80 and aside from the disappeared micro-hematuria and that i don't smoke nor take drugs nor drink alcohol, there's nothing else wrong with me, therefore its not possible for me to have microalbumin in urine.

is what he's saying true? that only people who are diabetic or have hypertension have micro-albumin in their urine? and those who aren't do not need an micro-albumin test?

thank you so much for your help doctor! thank you so very much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2017
If the screening test for protein is negative, then there is no need to perform a expensive test as suggested by you.

Your doctor is very right in his opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.