Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
User Profile
My question is - After having the crystals in my body for so long what can I expect from the baking soda treatment? Is it possible to predict a time frame for the elimination of the crystals ? Secondly, is it safe to continue taking the two-a-day baking soda treatment for longer than three weeks as long as it looks like there is steady improvement in my condition?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Gout Answer A3928
You didn’t tell me the uric acid blood level; although commonly present, increased uric acid is not a diagnostic criterion for gout. People with elevated uric acid may not have gout ; people with gout may have normal uric acid levels in the blood.

Gout is proven if urate crystals are detected inside the granulocytes, seen under the microscope, in the joint’s fluid aspirated from the affected joint. That “dull pain in both legs” does not suggest gout at all. Typical symptoms for gout is sudden extremely severe joint pain combined with swelled, red, and very painful to the touch skin above the joint. Pain is provoked by the inflammation that is due to urate crystals precipitation inside and around (in the skin) the joint. Any joint can be affected but the big toe is the most common location.

You may want to consult a rheumatologist to confirm or exclude gout.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.