Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

gout symptoms and treatments

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I went to 2 different doctors in the last 2 years and they told me I must have turned my ankle or sprained my foot. After going through weeks of pain each time I finally did my own research and found on wikipeidia I have gout. So I then went to the emergency room on my last attack (worse I've had, I couldn't walk at all), and the did blood work and confirmed I had gout (this was about 2 weeks ago).

I went to my family doctor and he gave me 2 pills one is alluprin (Sorry I'm at work and i don't have my bottle so spelling maybe off). He told me to take it for 3 months straight, then he gave me a green pill that supposively kills the pain if you take it the night before you get gout (My foot gets very very stiff, doesn't hurt, just know its coming the next day).

Sorry for the story, but I have been taking his medicine for about a week now and my foot is still hurting. I'm at work and I walked in fine but I had a few questions.

The only diet thing I have seen is don't eat red meat, I need to know how important that is, is it a myth or should we just not eat much at all? Another thing is I have been taking my children swimming, the water is very warm but I don't know if its better or worse for it. Finally, If my foot hurts, like it does now, is it best to just keep walking on it as much as possible or to stay off of it as much as possible.

I know this was a wrong post but I feel I'm rather young and it scares me having this, so the knowledge of you all on here is priceless.

DIET: I am overweight, and a very unhealthy eater, I know this must change. Typically for dinner my wife will fix some kind of meat/potato/vegetables Everyone I have talked to said you just don't need to eat red meat, and drink tons of water. I am still working on the meat part but I drink alot of water. Does "southern sweet tea" have anything to do with gout because obviously from the south we drink tea breakfast/lunch/dinner then after dinner. Lastly, I understand the red meat part but yesterday I thought my gout was completely gone but for lunch I hate a hamburger, dinner my wife cooked meatloaf. (both being beef), even in one instance like this could it bring my gout back, or keep it from going away?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 17th, 2008
There are MANY things you need to learn...
First read, all the threads here , much knowledge here....

Alipurinol, is good, but has side effects, especially if you are having an attack it should not be taken as it will spike you uric acid and cause more porblems.

Limit you meat, but meat is not the only bad thing to eat... Asparin , alcohol, coffee, whole grain food, oat meal, asparagus, and many other things are bad.... Read on the internet....

You CANT walk gout away.... stay off of your foot as there is glass( uric acid crystals) in your joints...

Drink plenty of water.... read the posts on baking soda (sodium bi carb) ... and learn as much as possible...
|
Did you find this post helpful?