Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

gout in knee leg pain

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Ok. I just joined the forum and I am happy I did. I am only 30 which sucks, but I already had Gout twice in my two before, and recently had surgery on my back to remove a cyst and after surgery my knee blew up. Of course, it was GOUT and they actually drained my knee twice in the ER. They wanted to shoot it with Cortisone but they said due to the surgery the day before they didn't want to do that. So I have been taking the medicine and have had two setbacks. Two times I tried walking without a Cane or Crutches and I started having this really painful pain in the back of my leg. Has anyone else experienced this?? It felt like the muscle was being pulled. So now its almost a month, I had a UltraSound done to make sure of no clots and I had X-rays done and nothing turned up. So has anyone else had this pain? I have stopped using the crutches and cane for about 3 days now and I can walk with a Mild very mild limp the leg feels alright, little bit of pain in the back of my leg now, but nothing I can't deal with. Also, I still have some fluid left in my knee....has that gone away for any of you overtime?? The doc said they might shoot it with Cortisone if it doesn't, but I'm hoping more it goes away. So just looking for experiences with Gout in the knee?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bechtj
|

replied May 8th, 2008
You will get pain in your back and your legs because they have to compensate for the lack of mobility in your joint the gout has attacked. Your muscles are getting pulled because they are doing the job your joint should have been doing.

For instance when I get gout on one side of my foot, the calf muscle will get very very sore after a couple days because of the way I have been walking.

Trying to make the joint comfortable also puts strain on your back because your probably not sitting in normal positions and walking differently then the body is used to.

I had that happen to me when I got it in my knee. Id also get you potassium checked, low levels can lead to very painful muscle cramps, spasms, and take the muscle longer to heal if its pulled.
|

replied June 11th, 2009
can it be RSD and Gout
ive suffered from RSD for the past 6 years an now ive been told ive gout in oth knees. My left arm aches so terribily i dont know if this is gout or rsd because my fingers burns badly til the point i want them cut off
so is it possible that i have RSD and Gout . My first RSD is in the right hand and fingers. Is there any help for me. Dont trust my doctor cause i told him my knees and calf was locked up and he said i was havng a panic attack and threw his hands up.
|

replied January 23rd, 2013
GOUT BEHIND KNEE
I'm HAVEING THE EXACT, EXACT, PROBLEM.. PAIN BEHIND THE KNEE AND LEG AFTER A GOUT ATTACK. PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT BECAME OF YOUR SITUATION. THANKS
|

replied April 4th, 2013
Gout in Knee and leg
I have an attack right now behind my right knee and leg. My doctor has me on Uloric to prevent gout, but once in a great while I will still get an attack. A good medication for gout is colcosis (spelling). I don't have the prescription in front of me. I suffer from Chronic stage III kidney disease, so the uric acid is not getting flused out by the kidneys like it should. I hope this helps.
|

replied July 31st, 2013
Yep, gout manifesting as a pain behind the knee is not that uncommon. Mine started several years ago at the base of my big toe and ultimately gave me a new definition of “football” as my foot swelled to the size of one.

Colchicine is my miracle drug for gout. It is mentioned by Hypocrites in its natural form, field saffron, and today is a generic prescription medication. A combination of 800 to 1000mg of ibuprofen with a couple of standard Colchicine tablets and a quarter teaspoon of baking soda in water is my current curative. Following that, I take another single dose of Colchicine every four to six hours until my bowels sound off (side effect of Colchicine) and the attack is over.

I have found that a quarter teaspoon of baking soda nightly has greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my gout attacks. It is a method I once read of online, but have no clinical studies to document its use, but it seems to have worked for me.
|