Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout in hip (Page 1)

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I recently started experiencing servere pain in my right hip during the night, when I get up to use the bathroom. It is so bad that I have to crawl on my knees to get to and from the bathroom - crawling with my hip bent seems to bring relief whereas walking is very painful. As soon as I get back into bed the pain disappears completely. When I rise in the morning, the hip is very painful until I get moving, after which the pain subsides to a minor dull ache during the day. I get the odd stabbing pain during the day, but it does not last more than a couple of seconds. However, during the night he pain returns when I get up.
I believe that gout in one hip is very rare - has anyone else had a similar experience?
Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Fudgie
|

replied May 8th, 2008
I have it in my Hip as we speak. My gout loves to move on me... it went from my foot, to my knee and now its starting in my Hip. Gout can get into ANY joint in the body. I have even had it in my wrist once.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
Right leg, knee and hip, just like you.
cdnerds, thank you! i (hopefully) find out tomorrow if what i have been agonizing over for as long as i can remember is Gout. Your post mirrors my experince 100%. It started in my right ankle; such a recurrent gnawing pain and inflammation, hot and extra sweaty. over the years my right knee started to hurt and swell, then my right hip. chronic bouts of excruciating pain. may sound strange, but i want it to be gout just so i can finally have a name and try direct treatments for it after so many years of searching. i currently have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis with it's widesspread pain, but what if it's always been undiagnosed and untreated gout?
|

replied April 17th, 2012
cdnerds, thank you! i (hopefully) find out tomorrow if what i have been agonizing over for as long as i can remember is Gout. Your post mirrors my experince 100%. It started in my right ankle; such a recurrent gnawing pain and inflammation, hot and extra sweaty. over the years my right knee started to hurt and swell, then my right hip. chronic bouts of excruciating pain. may sound strange, but i want it to be gout just so i can finally have a name and try direct treatments for it after so many years of searching. i currently have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis with it's widesspread pain, now wondering how much could be gout pain i've attributed to my Fibro. but i finally have some hope again.
|

replied April 17th, 2012
cdnerds, thank you! i (hopefully) find out tomorrow if what i have been agonizing over for as long as i can remember is Gout. Your post mirrors my experince 100%. It started in my right ankle; such a recurrent gnawing pain and inflammation, hot and extra sweaty. over the years my right knee started to hurt and swell, then my right hip. chronic bouts of excruciating pain. may sound strange, but i want it to be gout just so i can finally have a name and try direct treatments for it after so many years of searching. i currently have a Fibromyalgia diagnosis with it's widesspread pain, now wondering how much could be gout pain i've attributed to my Fibro. but i finally have some hope again.
|

replied June 9th, 2008
Gout in my hip as well
I have had gout in my hip joints as well. I think gout seems to find new places all the time. It seems to get to joints that have been either injured or strained during exercise. I have had gout in fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees and on my feet. Never the big toe.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Gout now in both hips
Since I first posted my question, I suspect that the pain could have been caused by my eating excessive quantities of small cocktail tomatoes. Now that I have stopped eating tomatoes, the pain is much less. However, it is now in both hips - not just the right hip. I am in the process of trying to determine which foods are bad for my gout by the process of elimination - I suspect that eggs could be the culprit. The list of food "baddies" on the web sites is not universal - my cousin had bad gout for 2 years before he found out that the cause was fruit juice, which, according to most web sites, is not listed as a "baddie". I am also having my uric aid level tested to confirm that my problem is, in fact, gout and not a spinal problem with pain referred to hip joints.
|

replied July 14th, 2008
Experienced User
Testing uric acid in the blood does not confirm gout because many people with high uric acid have no gout, and many people with gout test normal for uric acid in their blood. The definitive test is to examine aspirated fluid from the affected joint under a polarizing microscope to find the particular birefringence pattern around the crystals that identify them as monosodium urate.
|

replied February 18th, 2009
gout
i have gout in my hip! im only 25 i first got it when i was 21!! it started in my elbow! then to my foot and my shoulder and hip! never my big toe!! i drink organic cherry juice it hels alot!!!
|

replied December 7th, 2009
Gout relief
I'm 51 and been dealing with this issue since I was 29. I've had it in my fingers, hip, wrists, upper foot, knees, ankles, elbow and even the lower spine (if that's even possible). Never the toes though. The spine and knee was bad enough but the hip was the worst! You HAVE to reach for the colchicine (.06 mg) right away. I take 1 every hour until discharge. Be extremely careful with this prescription...it can really knock you off your butt.
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2009
I'm so glad to read all the responses about gout in the hip. I have it really bad in the toes, and lately I wake up w/ extreme pain in the hips, mostly the one I sleep on (the right). Now, I am more certain that my hunch is correct...I have gout in the hips, too. Drats!
|

replied June 11th, 2010
Gout in Hip
I just had surgery on my hip to remove large tumor and they tell me it is consistent with gout. It has been a very painful 4 month process but I am so happy it was not cancer which they thought it might be. I have never had issues other than knee that swelled up 2 years ago but did not hurt they tested me for gout and said all tests negative. This tumor I had since 2006 but then they told me it was calcium deposit and it would go away. It ended up damaging my bone, thank god the surgeon at Stanford said he fixed my bone but I am in 4th week of recovery and still don't walk right. I dont drink (quit over 14 years ago) 41 yrs old, not menopausal and don't eat much meat but I am lactose intolerant and eat lots of turkey and salmon so sounds like maybe going vegetarian might be good thing. Crazy. The only thing I can think of is that my uncle has gout and I also have IBS so sometimes I get dehydrated and dont drink enough fluid. Going to see dr in a few weeks to discuss. Never had any other issues except small sore bump behind my ear over the years that I thought was from wearing non gold earnings but maybe it was gout.
|

replied July 9th, 2010
I have suffered from gout since 1985 or so. First the big toe recurrence every 3 years or so), then after some recent meds for HBP, I had a severe onset in my feet, knees, and now even after the prescription of the latest meds, now my right hip, which had some trauma about 1.5 years ago. You can't drink enough water with this disease. The new meds can cause rapid dehydration from what I am observing. I used to be on Probenicid/Colchicine, now on Uloric/Colchicine. The Uloric is causing dramatic fluctuations in liquids. Only been 60 days, but if there was no better alternative, I'd start looking for an alternative.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Gout in Hip
I have been suffering with gout for nearly 15 years. I have had it in my ankle, knee, toe, wrist and I believe now,... in my hip. I went to the chiropractor to get some relief but when the pain grew as the night drew late, I realize that I made the wrong diagnosis once again. I always think I injured myself but when I think back to the alcohol and high purine diet has now brought this on. It i s so easy to be in denial. So, here I am at 3AM reading about gout in the hip and I am fairly convinced this is what I have. It is such a comfort to actually know what is ailing me instead of the uncertainty of chiropractic. I am learning my lessons once again and need to identify the symptoms for what they really are. GOUT.

I get relief when I lay down but when the spasms of pain come from standing or sitting on the toilet, it is the worst pain of my life. The pain manifests in the upper leg and hip area and can even affect the lower leg. I am on my colchicine regimin and hope to find that I was right. I am 48 year old male.
|

replied December 30th, 2010
Gout in the hip for the first time and I don't like it!!!
I thought I just had a sore hip until it just kept getting worse and I decided to google it and it had all the symptoms of gout. Know that I know it's gout I need to add cherries to my diet again. Cherries really do work and it cuts the healing time in half, well for me it does. Sometimes it would be really bad and then I have some dried cherries or some cherry pie and the next day you wouldn't even known I had a gout attack the other day. So I suggest cherries. I hear dried cherries are the best for you. So try it out and see if it works for you.
|

replied January 10th, 2011
Gout pain in the hip is horrible
i've been going through hell with a horrible pain in my hip, then i started to wonder if i was having another gout attack. i've had gout in my big toe and in my knee in the past. after reading some of these stories im convienced it's what im going through now.
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Hi all, I am new to this forum and was diagnosed with Gout four months ago.

For over ten years I have suffered with pain in my hip and back, the pain would always move around and my doctors would tell me that the pain I have was caused by poor posture. I joined a new Doctor Six months ago after having a new bout of pain in my hip, the Doctor told me that enough was enough, as he could see from my records that this was a long term problem for me. after ordering blood tests,(the first Doctor to do this) he told me that I have gout and put me on Allopurinol.
I have not seen any difference yet as I am still getting pain, and this has got to the stage now where pain plares up at least once every two months, sometimes even more frequent.

I am pleased to be able to read that others have also experienced gout in their hips and I would be interested to know what you do to cope with the pain, I am worried that mine could be so set in that I will never be cured of flare ups and pain.

BoleynBlue xx
|

replied April 11th, 2011
I see a pain dr now and take pain meds on bad days, I just could not deal with it anymore, no sleep, cranky, crying when I just felt like giving up. Depression got bad too, I love my pain dr. Pain meds are not great make you tired and make my mind slow but better than suffering all day every day.
|

replied April 16th, 2011
hip gout pain
i have had very painful hips for months . i noticed that when i took some bicarbonate of soda for my heartburn the hip pain lessened. i decided to take some mixed in water 4 times a day. the pain went in two days. its absolutely brilliant to be pain free...
|

replied February 9th, 2011
Colchicin vs Endomethacin
I'm 50 and have had gout for 15 years. I've been on Alipurinol now for 6 years and have had no signs of gout until last week when I stated feeling pain in my right hip. At first I though I strained myself skiing but it grew worse over time and 6 days later I can't walk or sleep and its spread to the second hip. I just got a prescription for Indomethacin which is what I use to use for flair ups before going on Alipurinol. I noticed a few folks commented they use colchicine. Does anyone know what the difference is and is one more effecive than the other?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2011
Personally I think it is imperative to find out what is triggering a gout attack. Gout cannot be effectively managed by just using medication as soon as you have an attack. To get your life back and improve its quality it might just be worth your while to start at the beginning and through a process of elimination find out what your own specific trigger is. From what I have read and researched gout is very body specific, meaning what happens to other or works for other might not be happening or working for you.
|

replied February 10th, 2011
I agree Goutlady, however, I have not had any Gout related episodes for 6 years since being on Alipurinol. This is the first one. I am just trying to figure out the quickest way to treat it and get back on my feet. If I have a reoccurence I will certainly look to make lifestyle changes but I remain hopeful this one is an anomaly.
|

replied February 19th, 2011
Is it Really Gout or Bursitis or Pinched Nerve?
Dear Friends. I too have had gout in the feet. Not just toe, but entire foot. Anyway, more recently and lasting about 3 months now I have fairly bad hip pain. Now, it could be a pinched nerve, arthritis, etc etc. Can anyone give explicit details of the pain and location. In my case, it is worst in bed. Turnining is painful. I feel it in my buttock mostly I guess. There are frequent "shooting pains" or "spasms" throughout day. periodically I feel it into my front leg towards knee. Much less pain sitting. ONLY when I go from seated to standing do I get an immediate surge of pain. I sorta "walk it off". Hurts 90% of the day. NO groin pain. I can "induce" more pain if I flex towards the bad hip side versus away from it. Mostly a dull ache throughout day. For the above posters -- I worry that some have arthritis or bursitis or a pinched nerve. I am trying to determine if any of the posters have near identical symptoms and have been doctor diagnosed as having gout of the hip. Warm Regards and thank you in advance. PS -- male, 43,
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
GNC
Try Black Cherry pills from GNC.
The Lord led me to take them.
I take 1 a day.
Dramatic Change!
|

replied December 17th, 2011
I have exact symptoms.
Did you get diagonized by doctor?
in pain
Jeff
|

replied December 30th, 2011
GOUT in hip/legs/knee
MAnthony,

Your symptoms are exactly like my recent pain. Hip shooting pains, in butt, through the front leg into the knee.

On Dec. 2010 I sprained my ankle in Thailand and that sprain pain lingered during holidays feeling more pain but different. I walked a lot during European golf tour events and the ankle got worse as well as the pain. I could barely walk. In May I could not take it anymore after a few doctors in UAE gave me some weak pain meds, so I went to my Thailand home and went to Bangkok Hospital.

I took a blood test to find that Uric Acid levels were high and it was confirmed GOUT. Got the Colchicine, steroids, Zyloric, etc... and it went away.

In December 2011, I walked Thai Country club to exercise and that caused joint pain in the hip, then it lingered and lingered, then it is now doing what I said in the first paragraph. A GOUT attack, I just needed to confirm it can be in the hip/leg/knee.

I am 43 and a bit out of shape. Athletic but at 6'1 and around 240, i am 30 pounds over my ideal athletic muscular tone. I eat the good stuff, a lot of stews with roux base as I am from Louisiana, and love to drink.

My doctor in Thailand said to lose weight which I need to do to fight this GOUT.
|

replied December 30th, 2011
The point about my first post was that i get Gout when I have a sprain or from a bruise or muscle pains from exercising.

It has been in my wrist-after spraining it
Ankle (moved a few places)- after spraining it
Hip/leg/knee(right side)-after walking a golf course out of shape and having muscle pain in the hip.

Gout attacks weak areas!!!
|

replied September 13th, 2013
You and I have the exact same symptoms. Thank you for sharing, I was thinking I was just nuts.I went as far as buying a new mattress, because I thought that was causing the pain. I only came to this site because I just now had my second gout attack in my toe in 3yrs. Which got me to wondering if the hip pain could be related to the gout in my toe. My hip pain feels like hip joints as gonna pop out. Plus the pain travels to my hamstring muscles. Its excrutiating.
|

replied March 22nd, 2011
big toe neck than hip
has any one had gout in there neck i started in my big toe a couple of times than i bleave it moves i had pain in my neck that went away now my left hip can that really be ????????????
|

replied October 30th, 2011
Gout hits all over
I am 30 and had my first gout attack at around 25 or so. It was in my foot. Figured I had injured my foot or something as it felt broke at first. I did not think much of it as I could still get around although uncomfortably and it only lasted a day. It happened again when I was 28. Again in the top of my foot. It happened several times over the next six months. Then it got into my ankle one night this was on thanksgiving. I noticed my Achilles tendon had been sore earlier in the day...on the drive home from my mothers. It began in the tendon and moved into my ankle as the evening and night went on. The ankle was excruciating. I could not walk and went to the ER the pain was so unbearable. This is when I scheduled a Dr's appointment. I started on 300mg of allopurinol. I went back to my mothers for Christmas and once again I had a flare up. It kept coming back in my ankle always seeming to start in the Achilles tendon. I eventually started taking 400mg of allopurinol daily in two doses. Right after I changed doses I had one attack after eating Captains D' seafood. That one happened in my neck and was a nightmare. My Dr had prescribed me some pain pills and I was munching on them like candy just to be able to tolerate being conscious. I have not had an attack since then. That is about 3 months ago. I am due for another appointment. I also have pains in my hips when walking sometimes. seems as my leg straitens out and starts to go behind me I will get a sharp pain... I will have to bend over slightly to be able to walk.
|
12 >>