Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Gout and carbonated drinks

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
I was reading the Wikipedia entry on gout, and noticed that both beer and soda pop raised risk of gout significantly. Although I've never been too keen on soda pop, I've always loved beer, so here I am...

The problem, I think, with carbonated drinks is that they contain a significant amount of carbonic acid. Evidently, interaction between bicarbonate and carbonic acid play a very important role in body ph. So the problem with beer is not that it has yeast, or even purines, but the fact that it is injected with CO2 to form an acidic solution. Interestingly, soda pop, which is more acidic than beer, increases the risk of gout as much as beer, even without the alcohol.

Here's an article on it:

Two fizzy drinks a day can give you gout
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Gwalch
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
A recent study of the effects of soda pop on gout showed that soda pop sweetened with high fructose corn syrup does indeed raise the risk of gout almost as much as beer. However, soda pop sweetened with an artificial sweetener did not raise the risk of gout at all.
|
Did you find this post helpful?