Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

Gonorrhea without sex ?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
can u have an std without knowing it and without having sex? like can u have umm gonorrhea without ever doing it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper W0LF
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Yes. Sexually transmitted diseases are most often transmitted through sexual contact but they can be transferred between hosts through a variety of ways. Herpes is especially virulent, gonorrhea less-so but still something you can catch without sexual contact. Most STDs have long gestation periods in the body. You can have them and even be a carrier without showing symptoms. Very often disease symptoms like those of Gonorrhea or Syphilis are often misinterpretted as other medical disorders.

If you suspect you have Gonorrhea you should go get tested by your doctor. The chances are unlikely for a virgin, but well-worth the inconvenience for your piece of mind.
|

User Profile
replied January 8th, 2010
thanks,
but how can they be transmitted without sex? like kissing? or what
|

replied January 9th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
It would require unusual circumstances to say the least. Not worth worrying about. Use protection for sex, avoid intimacy with people you know have STDs. You'll be fine.
|

User Profile
replied January 9th, 2010
thanks, im still going to get it checked out though
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Can you get an STD without having sex?
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Diseases aren't self aware, they don't know if you're having sex or not. They only know that they are able to spread to a body that is vulnerable and when they can, they do.
|

replied February 18th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi WOLF
i READ YOUR REPLY AND WANTED TO KNOW IF THIS CAN INCLUDE HPV ASWELL?
|

Extremely eHealthy
HPV is a little different because of it's vector of infection. I honestly don't know how realistic it is to say that it could be spread casually but it is incredibly viral, it's certainly possible. Your doctor could tell you more.
|

Experienced User
HI WOLF

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY BUT I HAVENT BEEN TO MY DOCTOR ABOUT THIS ONLY THE CLINIC AND THEY SAY IT IS ONLY THROUGH SEX THAT YOU CAN GET THIS.
|

Experienced User
ALL THEY HAVE SAID TO ME IS THAT MY IMMUNE SYSTEM IS VERY STRONG AND THAT IS WHY I HAVE NEVER HAD SYMPTOMS BEFORE.
|

Extremely eHealthy
They're doctors. They know your case history and have access to your tests. They've examined you medically. I'd go with their opinion.
|

Experienced User
THANK YOU
|

replied October 4th, 2011
can you catch gonorrhea thru a house hold people if one person in the house have it and they dont know?
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
Gonorrhea is transmitted through the penis, vagina, anus and saliva.
|