Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

God or bipolar? (or something else?)

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I have been diagnosed with depression for over 5 years and have had three major episodes where I was barely eating, staying in bed all day, not communicating and avoiding school/college. I have found it difficult to stay on medication for this as I hate going to the doctors.

I am now concerned because my mentor at college has asked whether I think it might be bipolar instead. I have had experiences which I put down to God and am now unsure about (even though I still believe God is real). I have heard angels singing and talking (not directly to me). I also spent a weekend with church friends laughing almost constantly for no reason, to the point where it was difficult to stop and eat or drink. On that weekend I was full of energy and didn't sleep much - this was two months after I went on leave from my studies due to major depression.

I don't know where to turn to get unbiased opinions. I know I should see a doctor but I don't like or trust my current doctor and the thought of seeing someone new makes me feel very anxious. Please give advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2011
Here is a link to the article which shows the negative correlation between exercise and depression. The study and findings are very impressive and the positive findings are much more significant than the results of any drug studies.

http://www.findcounseling.com/journal/heal th-fitness/

While the majority of fitness research efforts focus on the physical and health benefits of exercise, there is a growing body of work demonstrating that exercise promotes wellness and mental health. Researchers at Duke University studied people suffering from depression for 4 months and found that 60% of the participants who exercised for 30 minutes three times a week overcame their depression without using antidepressant medication. This is the same percentage rate as for those who only used medication in their treatment for depression.
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2011
If I ever come across a Doctor, that refuses to listen to me(considering I'm the one who pays him!), I switch. You know your body better than he does and when you feel something's not quite right and he's not listening, then you do what you need to do, to get to feeling better!
I'm no Doctor, but it sounds like maybe Anxiety and Depression. The bi-polar's I've came across had bad mood-swings, very irritable one minute and the next fine, etc.

Hope all works out for you.
|

replied October 5th, 2011
Thanks for replying. I am currently diagnosed with anxiety/depression and I think (although I'm not as sure now) that that it the right diagnosis. It is people around me that have questioned it.

In my OP I was mainly venting following a stressful service on Sunday and prior to a Christian society gathering yesterday. I both do and don't want to open up to the people there. There are possible bipolar symptoms in terms of moods that I didn't mention but over quite a long period of time - up for three or four weeks and down for a several months. I don't know whether the highs are high enough to be classed as mania because my knowledge of what is a "normal" mood is screwed up from the lows I experience - I hope this makes sense.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2011
angel, there is a self help book out there, the title of the book is the Bible. you don't need to go to church to here gods word. may i suggest reading about the father, son, and holy spirit oh and the demon. there is a man who spoke in there and man was good enough to high-lite him in red. start with the shorter books first in the new testament. or go strait to the 4 gospel; Matthew, mark, Luke, and john. a new king James bible i found to not have been rewritten or added to or taken from. good and evil is in all of us, so let the good in us shine...may the peace in the holy spirit bring you the peace we all seek.
|

replied October 31st, 2011
Dear Puretorture,

I was diagnosed 11 years ago with Bipolar Disorder and I have to say that it was the start of an entirely new life. Whether you like doctors or not is not the issue. You have what you have and you need medication. The biggest mistake people with mental illness make is not taking their medication. I wish I could tell everyone suffering from BPD to just stick with their meds. It's the only way. I take Lithium and it really works for me. I have minor episodes now and again but I am under control. Another key is your family. Or whomever you can really trust to help when you're in a bind. There are going to be a lot of tough times ahead, unfortunately, but if you can stay medicated and keep your family or trustworthy people with you, you will survive this and you will enjoy your life! Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get through this without serious medication and medical counseling and of course your family!
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2011
meds (drugs) bipolar/ Jesus
i"ve gone 19 years w/out meds (drugs) that alter the mind. i think i'll stick with Gods alterations. it's the demons inside us that make us look crazy. god is giving gifts to us, and the devel drives us crazy. i simply asked Jesus to help me deal with the devil, and i've beaten him.none of us so-called bipolar people are Jesus, but when we try to live Christ like, we're told here take this drug.. drugs are drugs, legal or not. i live by the greatest drug there is and it's free,,, Gods LOVE. as thats what wrong w/me in sciences eyes..
|

User Profile
replied October 5th, 2011
Sure it makes since. My mother was diagnosed with Mania.. She was a *bleep*, tho. lol!
Either way.. Has your Doctor considered changing your medication or increasing the dosage?
|

replied October 18th, 2011
I guess you need the help of a very close/immediate relative to see to it if you have the right doctor. I was first diagnosed with this illness since when I was 16 and I only changed doctor once (almost twice, read on...). It was my mom's big decision that made me relatively stable since then. She was the one who chose my doctor for me. I think it's better to find a close person who would observe your everyday actions to find out if you're doing good and if the doctor truly fits you. I'd tell you, I hardly ever trusted my instincts since when I had a doctor. I sometimes feel that I don't trust my doctor and even tried to switch to another one (third one). I even consulted him several for several weeks. He was a lot nicer and I trusted him more than my 2nd doctor but my mom saw/observed that i was more stable with my 2nd doctor so I switched back to him. I had been relatively stable since then. Right off the bat, I sometimes have a feeling that I don't trust my doctor but something always tells me that since he's my doctor, he knows more than I do and he's an expert on this. So, I always always follow his directions no matter what. But whenever I feel something is not right, I'd tell him. Whatever his decision, I follow. I've never consulted him since June and I'm pretty happy how far I am now. I was almost a drop-out in High School, but now I am taking up law in an Ivy League school...
|

Also, keep your faith in God. Pray and pray... but always have modesty in your faith. God wants to keep things simple yet meaningful. I still pray to Him each night. I got crazy last year for trying to communicate to Him in unthinkable manners but I learned since then that simple prayers are enough. It gives me strength to go by each day and every time I am about to engage in an endeavor, I seek His Help. He guides me through all these.
|

also, if you have any new problem, just tell your doctor coz between you and him, he's the trouble shooter so he definitely knows more than you do.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
Experienced User
If you think God is involved then think again. Do read the Bible as recommended above. Once you have you8 will know the truth. God is fiction, follow up on things the Bible claims and you'll find it's a fraud.

For instance John's Revelations predicts the end of the world etc. But one line in that "book" say " The number of the Bast is the number of a MAN and that number is 666".

So, right there it tells you the Beast is a man and thefore dead already. Many thought it to be NERO in some ancient code but it does not matter who he was. He was mortal. As were they all, all in the Bible. It's a story book.

It's the BP of course, you can imagine anything at all and it's real.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
satan couldn't have said it better himself, "oneofus" , one w/ Jesus? or one w/satan. now i know who's side ur on... one O fus.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
OH, and there not STORIES, they are testimonies of what they WITNESSED. as too i witness ur story of god's not real, so says u. and to u "heathy171" i'll just say this not feeling hungry is just called fasting in our history, and thats NO STORY...
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2012
Experienced User
Oh. Testimonies of what they witnessed huh? The How is it that John wrote Revelations hundreds of years after Jesus supoosedly died? Did he witness that?

Have you read the Bible? At all? It is clear you haven't. Proof there is no perfect God is in the first two pages .

And do tell me what happened while Jesus was wandering in the desert by himself? He was there alone yet someone testifies to what happened thirty years later. Be real, Only Jesus supposedly knew and he didn't anyway. And nor did the devil.

Yes, they are stories. The Bible did not exist until about 300 AD. It was written under the direction of a Roman Emperorer,Constantine, all Emperors took the title of God which is why there was a clash with the Jews.

He converted to Christianity as he had a dream in which he won carrying a large cross. Brilliant move. He appointed himeslf head of what is now the Catholic Church.

Of yes, they are stories all right, no testimony too sacred to twist to the plot. And it's since been rewritten how many times?

And you believe it all. How about the Phantom too? Is he real?

But yes, I am indeed the devil, as far as chocolate goes anyway.
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
the truth, "so help me god"
jesus wasn't alone in the desert. satan was there to temped him.as for reading the bible, yes i read the one a stranger gave me in the phyc ward , that he had carried w/him for ten years till he handed one of two identical ones he held in his hands to me. i read it all in two weeks that i spent in the hospital, starting with all Jesus had said, and he was right ? only the devil deceives us. enjoy ur chocolate...
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
oneofus, say hi to Santa this xmas, when he brings gifts to ur children. and I will say happy birthday to Jesus and WILL receive more of his gift to me,"LOVE"
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Hey Misfit,

You're just exposing more of your ignorance so keep going. It's actually amusing to see someone shame themselves on purpose.

Won't answer the reading the Bible question, please note. This is typical of the ignorant name calling bigots who claim to be Christian. Doesn't he act in a wonderfully Christian way. In fact exactly as I know elf professed Christians to act.
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
the difference between a smart man and an intelligent man is there words. im not a christian, i am a spiritual being not a human-being over flowing with love and hope.as you judge me so shall u be judged, yet not by me. sticks and stone may break my bones, but your names can never hurt meee. u be careful 2moro that u do not trip and fall... have u been burnt by a girl who's B P ? or is the gift of B P in u?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2012
Experienced User
Misfit

You are bluntly on another planet mate. God, Jesus and satan? Give it a rest.

If you read the telling of Jesus's time in the desert (ALONE) you will recognise he too was bipolar for he gives a perfect description of the experience. Or was satan taking videos of what happened?

Get a life and stop fantasising. Yes I am BP2, that's how I recognise the rubbish people like you write as you have no clue.

Avatar and Healthy are the only ones who have given good advice. Even that exercise nut is way wrong. You don't exercise bp away, that's a complete nonsense. Meds are the only answer if you want to control it. If you keep stopping it will keep comng back, as you've noticed. So torture yourself that way if you like until you learn.

Someone else said the doctor know more than us. DOH. Of course, they spend a decade learning it all.
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2012
oneof us, yes u r one of them , who believe science and drugs. and i believe father, son ,and holyspirit. i have 20 years of study in the spiritual side of mental illness and have just completed my 1st of many books. as for ur doctors, well they were trained by the monkeys before them and they all are as closed minded as u when it comes to hope that there may be another answer to this issue. u continue to stand with sience and i will continue to stand with Christ who aqs u stated was bp also. i'd rather be like him than be like the hundred of thousands who believe the trained monkeys ,called doctors. and medications are just drugs that r given the suffering a way to end thier life when they've had enough of your judgement. so to end this debate I strongly disagree with both you and them (doctors), and will spend the next 20 years proving there is two paralleled lives here on earth. YOURS AND MINE. pc-b-w/u ps, if u respond i will read it so i'll see by ur last testimony u will write in stone ur own judgement on urself...
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2012
the doctor are told this is the way it is, and had to pay money for it. i on the other had learned thru 20 year experience without drugs (meds) and only 2 episodes 19 years apart and still i am drug (MED) free an healthier than u will ever be on medications for the mind.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Not by the sound of what you write mate. It's all straight out of the belfry, when the bats let it out that is.
|