Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

Gnawing Pain in sternum and nausea

Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...
Hello, I am hoping to get some answers here, because I am really at my wits end. For the past 2 1/2 months i have been experiencing a gnawing feeling right below my sternum. (The area between the breats that is sort of hollow.) I have been burping up food although it is not burning my throat, and also feeling slightly nauseous at times. I never do through up. I have recnetly had my annual physical about 3 1/2 months ago, including my very first colonoscopy. (I am 51 Years old). Every came back excellent. NO problems. Then shortly sfter that the gnawing starting. I can not take any antacids due to the fact that I have LOW STOMACH ACID. So taking tums would be doing mmore damage if this is a form of heartburn. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me some clues, or let me know if any one has had the same thing. Any help would be greatly apprecieated. Thanks for listening. Annn.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile robichris
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2012
Experienced User
Reflux can occur due to hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid). In this case it is not (obviously) acid reflux but reflux of bile, enzymes and chyme (partially digested food).

To control reflux, lose weight, eat small portions (little and often), wear loose clothing, don't do any exercises that cramp the stomach after food and leave at least three hours after eating before going to bed.
|

replied May 28th, 2012
Hi Robichris, I forgot to mention in my last post that sometimes the gnawing pain travels to the mid left side of my abdomen also with the nausea. Can this be the samething. I am planning on making an appoitment with the Doctor as soon as my new insurance kicks in. I am sort of in between insurances right now. Anymore advice you might have would again be greatly appreciated. When you mentioned bile reflux, is it possible that this discomfor can last all day ong, or is it possible it might me something else. Please, any input you may have would really be great.
|