Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

gluten free- still losing weight...

Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....
Let me start by saying i'm 28 yr old male starting weight was 210 and I'm 5'8''. Starting September 2010 I started to have hot flashes and nausea always at the same time. It got intense enough for me to want to go to the ER and they took some blood and told me they didn't know what it was but it was something viral; gave me some zofran for the nausea and sent me on my way. I kept having bouts of hotflashes and nausea for weeks, I saw my Doctor several times thru out and they said it could be anxiety, could be kidney stones, could be anything. They did some blood test and urine test. The blood test were normal, and the urine test should trace amounts of blood in my urine and the doc ordered an abdominal ultrasound and x-ray. Ultrasound normal, x-ray showed 2mm kidney stone, told me to drink water and it will flush without me knowing it. I still pressed thinking that because of the hot flashes it could be hormonal but blood test did not show anything. One night feeling hot and nauseous as usual I washed my hands and put cold water on my face, as soon as I did that the right side of my face and neck, right shoulder and all the way down my right arm was numbness. I called my Doc told her what happened and she said that if it gets worse or last for more than an hour then go to the ER. It stuck around and I took some tylenol and fell asleep, when I woke up in the morning it was normal again. This prompted them to order an MRI at least; they asked for MRI with dye the first time and my insurance approved the MRI but without dye the first time. The MRI should everything normal except for partially empty sella. This allowed for an MRI with dye which still showed the same everything normal partially empty sella. They referred me to an endocrinologist, started over with him, he ordered more blood test and 24 hour urine test all normal. My mother told me she had been diagnosed with celiacs and asked me to get tested so I did. Did the blood test which showed positive for celiacs, this is Feb 2011 I went gluten free a week before I found out. Because the blood test was positive for celiacs they referred me to a GI. He ordered an endoscopy, which was done and a biopsy was taken. The endoscopy showed a lot of inflammation (gastritis) but the biopsy showed no spru, so I'm confused. The only positive note is that being gluten free I have not had the hot flashes as frequent or as intense, but I have been nauseous everyday since september 2010. If the nausea get's too much i'll take promethazine and it helps but makes me sleepy. The most recent test done was a HIDA scan to test my gall bladder and liver function, this was done last Friday and no results have been sent to my GI yet. I know this was a lot of writing and do appreciate the time anyone takes to look at it and give me an opinion or general direction to go in to feel normal again. I should add that I am currently 183 lbs, figured the weight loss was just from switching from a gluten free diet but didn't know if it could still be a symptom since I'm still currently losing weight.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy (online)
Did you find this post helpful?