Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Gland inflammation caused by eating

Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
Hi, I am having a gland located to the right along under my jaw that is swelling every time I eat. The swelling goes down about an hour after I'm finished eating. I have no food allergies that I know of. But after searching food allergy symptoms online, I don't believe that is what is causing this swelling. It first occurred about 2 months ago. It happened consistently for about a week, then just stopped. Now it has started it up again. It is not, and has never been, painful. But just very bothersome. Can any relate? Or help me??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 2nd, 2008
This sounds like the same gland i guess it would be, that i have a problem with sometimes. one night it just all of a sudden became swollen to maybe the size of a bouncy ball i would say. there was no pain at all. and it later went down. and now every once in a great while , usually if i eat , it swells up sometimes.
I have no idea what it could be , i only just started to look it up a little tonight and found this post. this is the first example i have found so far of someone having the same problem.
|

replied September 3rd, 2008
Experienced User
It sounds like a swollen parotid gland. The largest of the salivary glands. Maybe you had a temporary blockage of the gland.
|

replied November 7th, 2008
swollen gland when eating
The first time i noticed, I was at a restaurant and noticed in the mirror the gland on the left side of my face under ear was swollen and very noticeable. this had never happened before and made me nervous but when i got home it had completely disappeared. every once in a while it would swell up and go away minutes later till the last week i noticed it has been swelling up as soon as i eat and then goes away minutes after i stop. i have no idea what this is caused by but there is and never has been any pain whatsoever associated with it. Does this description come close to the same thing you have been experiencing? if you find anything out about what may cause this please forward any information along to me. thank you
|

replied November 17th, 2008
gland inflammation
Sometimes focusing on what is wrong , although logical, is not the best way to go...
If you just say 'thank you for my healing' you're sending a msg to your subconscious mind that you want to heal and find a solution. Soon a solution will come. No one needs a diagnosis or a label of their problem for the problem to be solved/healed. Good luck
|

replied August 12th, 2010
My glands under my chin, behind my ears and in my neck go crazy every time i eat , to the extent that i feel in order for me to look semi-ok, i have to starve myself. It's so unfair. If i catch a bug that's going around it affects me massively and all the glands in my body swell up.
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Yeah have the same thing, there can be a good few months between each bout of swelling. Each bout lasts for up to a week, and occurs when I'm eating. I've heard its to do with a salivary gland stone, and there are a few ways of removing it if it doesn't pass naturally, but the methods are rather long and tedious. To be honest, it's not something that can manifest into anything worse than it already is - a minor inconvenience, and in its extreme form, uncomfortable.
|

replied October 10th, 2012
need help
im going thru the same thing right and not sure why it pops up every once and in awhile,very uncomfortable and inconvenient,is there a way to rid it,i cant hardly eat when it is swelled up,is there a reason y it swells up? what am i doing wrong.
|

replied October 11th, 2012
Swollen gland right side of neck when eating
Just got back from a hospital visit with the same thing. It started to swell when i started to eat dinner (the size of a golf ball) By the time i was seen in the hospital it had gone down by 80%. Doctor was no help at all. So when i got home i was starving and tried to finish dinner same thing happend again so i just waited an hour then went to bed. Woke in the morning with slight swelling had breakfast same thing happend. l also get a tingling feeling on my tounge. A few weeks ago my whole face swelled up i am not 100% sure it is related to what l am going through now thou.l find it very hard to swollow when i am swollen.l have a doctors apointment on wednesday if he has any ideas i shall post again. Regards ZANA
|

replied December 13th, 2012
Any news you can share?
|

replied October 15th, 2012
I'm going through the same thing, salivary glands swell, sometimes after eating. If anyone knows of any supplements, feel free to post what works or does not.
|

replied December 13th, 2012
This just started happening to my fiance today. Quite frankly it is kinda of scary. Dinner tonight was the second time it has swollen, the first being earlier today. I hope the swelling goes down like everyone else's seems to. I see a doc appointment in the immediate future.
|

replied December 16th, 2012
This is happening to me at this time also. It happened earlier today and went a way, now it's back.
|

replied December 27th, 2012
swollen gland
I have had this same issue crop up maybe twice a year..the swelling goes down between meals and comes back each time I chew.. generally goes away the next day. the dentist said it could be a blockage in the salivary gland. very annoying.
|

replied January 15th, 2013
Gland inflammation caused by eating
I went to urgent care with this same symptom and have been diagnosed with strep. My throat does not hurt on the inside just swelling under the chin on the right each time I try to chew/eat. I can drink liquids ok without issue. I am taking antibiotics now...will see.
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Face and neck swelling when I eat.
This only happens when I eat. I can feel it popping up and the pain is there when I bite or try to chew. How do you unblock the GLAND? I am ready to try just about anything.
|

replied May 24th, 2013
I have this same condition and it will go down for awhile then pop back up. You may want to talk with your doctor about Sjorgdens Syndrome or have xray to see if there is a blockage. In the mean time...SOUR candy will help break up the blockage. The more sour the better. Also place a hot towel or heating pad on the gland and massage with your fingers in a circular motion applying pressure in different spots. But the SOUR candy like lemon heads works best!
|

replied December 13th, 2013
swollen glands
This happens to me also, and has for some time. I just recently connected the gland swelling to eating when I did an elimination diet of sorts. I did a mostly cold pressed juice and organic diet, and noticed that whenever I went out to eat or ate foods containing GMOs or MSG (basically chemicals, toxins and bad stuff) then the gland would swell under my right ear to the point where it was slightly painful. Now I notice a direct correlation to the swelling and anytime I eat this "bad stuff". I would try an elimination diet and see what foods cause this. My personal theory is GMOs!! If anyone has looked into how bad they really are to consume, and how contaminated the U.S. food supply system is with these "foods" no wonder so many people are experiencing issues.
|

replied January 21st, 2014
Blocked salivary gland
I've also just recently this happen. Yesterday after breakfast my salivary gland under my left jaw bone swelled up to the size of an egg with only a little pain/discomfort. Then it went down over the course of an hour or two. As soon as I started eating lunch it happened again.

My dentist thinks it's most likely a Salivary Gland stone as others have speculated. I just read an article while googling the topic that said there is an endoscopy type procedure now where a thin tube with a camera and "grabbers" is inserted into the tube that connects the salivary gland to the mouth and probes/removes the stone(s).

It didn't happen again today but if it continues I'll go see an oral surgeon for this procedure.
|

replied February 9th, 2014
I ate some skittles and my under my left chin swolled up all of a sudden. What is this?
|