Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cystic Fibrosis Forum

Girlfriend with CF

User Profile
Hello,

I recently began dating a long-time friend of mine who was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at an early age. We have been dealing with her illness together for many years, including frequent and prolonged hospital visits and various reactions to new medications. Recently her health seems to have significantly improved, enough that she and I have planned for her to take a flight from the West Coast to Ohio to come visit me over the summer.

This will be our first time meeting face-to-face, and we plan for her visit to last for at least a few weeks, if not a full month. I guess my question is whether or not there are any general sorts of problems related to her disease that I should be aware of. We've discussed her medications and the effects of them, and I've done a bit of research on CF over the years I've been friends with her, but are there any things in general I should be prepared for?

Specifically, we plan on being physically intimate, but I'm worried about how much activity will be safe for her - she tends to be hard-headed, so even if I asked her directly, she might downplay the effects of her CF.

I realize that the degree of Cystic Fibrosis varies from individual to individual, but if there is any advice that anyone might have to give me or any general do's-and-don'ts, I would be more than happy to receive them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2009
People with cystic fibrosis have two main daily areas of medical treatment - respiratory treatment and pancreatic enzyme replacements.

She will probably be taking respiratory treatment which may include chest percussion treatments.

She will be taking enzyme replacement capsules with her meals. She may take in-between meal supplements to help increase her calories.

Adults with cystic fibrosis have diabetes with increasing frequency as they get older; so, she might be taking insulin treatment.

There are no particular dos or don'ts. I suggest approaching her chronic medical condition with in an open, supportive manner. Learn more about how she cares for herself and support her at a level that is comfortable to you and her.

Intimacy is not restricted in most cases with cystic fibrosis. Common sense that would be observed with somone that you haven't personally met is the best course of action.

|

replied June 16th, 2010
16yrold
im 16 with CF && CF doesnt make it to where you cant be physically intimate. I have been with this guy for 8 months && we are always hanging out && its not just a sexual relationship. Sex is actually really healthy for CFers to be quite blunt. so dont worry about that(; also, there is nothing contagious she could give to you. Most of CF's problems are CF related && dont effect other people.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cystic Fibrosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.