Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Girlfriend suffering from depression

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
My girlfriend is suffering from depression, I'm 23 and she's 21 we have been together for almost 3 years and have a 1yr old son, since he was 6 months old she has been suffering. It's been a real roller coaster ride for the both of us but recently she has been on a real low. The worst thing is that she thinks the problem is me. We are currently spending some time apart. I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not? We said that let's give it 2 weeks and see how it goes. Over the past few days she has really missed me at times and other times felt like she doesn't need anyone. I love her so much and don't want to loose her, I've been there for her as much as she will let me. Any body got any advice? I've been doing a lot of research and have recommended that she should go to see a councillor about it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2012
Experienced User
Hi Supporter,

Very sad situation. The depression following birth of a child makes me suspect post partum depression but I'm male and cannot tell much more than it may be a possibility.

If you are living apart, where are you both living and who is supporting who for this? Who has the child and who pays to support that child's life?

These are thngs that must be resolved early as you need to know your child is secure and she needs to find out if she can be a single Mum. Not too many can do that and still maintain a decent lifestyle. At best, if they do earn good money, the child is in child caRE MOST OF THE TIME AND mUMMY IS TOO TIRED AT NIGHT. nO LIFE FOR HER OR THE CHILD.

Sorry about the caps, too much to change back but it was just big fingers!!

You mention love only towards the end and say nothing of how she feels about you. You see of course she would have missed you as she wants a break from the child. But is it more than that?

Whatever the situation she must see a doctor and get a referral, Probably a therapist may be best first up.

DO you think she's got any better since you left. Try to answer without bias.

Do you know if there is someone else in the picture at all?

Motherhood would be the hardest job I could think of and it would be unbearable for many of us. We just don't have the patience or strength. Yet women are expected to do it and do it well. I know I couldn't. Could you? Maybe a little understanding of what she has to do may help you both.
|
Did you find this post helpful?