Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

ghosting halos vision changes!

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
I recently went to the ophthalmologist because I have been having some eye trouble. It started out with ghosting and glare around images and lights like if there is light text on a black background I will see a faint transparent image of the same thing above it or if I look at flourescent lighting there seems to be another light on top of it that moves up and down with each step .. it seems to be worse during the day and at night it is better but I have major halos.. the opthamologist did a thorough exam and ruled my
eyes healthy I have had a slight astigmatism but why would I suddenly start to see this bad? I have had major anxiety and my mom thinks that\'s what's causing it but I think my eyes are causing me anxiety ... its making me miserable is there's something the doctor missed? he's supposed to be one of the best! or is it really related to my anxiety / depression ? or allergies? my eyes are very dry and the sr gave me eye drops but I think I'm too young to have dry eye? help! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 8th, 2012
I also forgot to add that it is the same when I close one eye it's still there but it goes away when I use the pinhole test so I know I ruled out anything neurological .. I hope
|

replied July 7th, 2012
Hi marie, i have the same eye problems and more. I see after images of things, words, and lines, especially if they are against a light background or if its a fashing or blinking light. For example, i can see an after image of a blinking car light when i look away. I also see the halo, which is worse at night and seem to have a slight astigmatism as well. In addition, my eyes are light sensitive - i have to wear sunglasses wherever i go and fluorescent lights hurt my eyes alot. I am seeing tiny specks of light zipping across light backgrounds and developed floaters. All of my symptoms developed very suddenly. I have never had eye problems before and in fact do not even wear glasses. I have had other symptoms - anxiety, depression in the past, neck pain, numbness and tingling, tremors (hands would shake for no reason), buzzing in the ears, sometimes ear pain, sometimes a gritty sandy feeling in the eyes, bubbling feeling under the skin. I went to see a lyme literate doctor and although my bloodwork came back negative for lyme, he is treating me for it based on clinical symptoms. I have not seen much improvement in vision since being on the antibiotics but i have only started treatment. That is my story. I would be interested to know if you ever figure out the cause of your eye problems.
|

replied August 5th, 2012
I have had floaters since I was about 12 years old. There was maybe one or two back then, now I have dozens between my two eyes. As of about 5 years ago, when I was about 18/19 years old I began to notice spots in my vision mainly when I was outside. I went to the optometrist and they said that there was nothing wrong with my eyes. That was good enough for me. As the years went on I noticed the "sparkling/swirling" white dots more and more. Now I'm 24 years old and I CANNOT go outside without wearing sunglasses and can still see the moving dots even with my sunglasses on. As if that wasn't enough, over the last year I began having very dry eyes. Especially at night. I wake up about three to five times a night to put gel eye drops in my eyes to keep them lubricated, as well as keeping a humidifier by my bed, which doesn't seem to make much of a difference. In addition to that my right eye has had this very large "blur" or "halo" effect around it which has been very annoying especially at night. Then last night I began seeing this "vertical ghosting" while driving home I was noticing some kind of double vision while looking at street lights, signs, and even the moon. But only in my left eye. I have anxiety so naturally I was panicking. Doing research online since it's a Sunday and no doctors are around to see me. I assume they will tell me nothing is wrong like usual and I'm going to go on with yet another visual problem.
|

replied July 8th, 2012
Hello there,
After going to 2 opthamologists who didn't seem too worried about my symtpoms being neurological, it was discovered that I have dry eyes from the birth control pill I am on which was causing light to scatter causing the ghosting and halos.
I have other symptoms of anxiety too like fatigue and dizziness but I don't feel anxious my anxiety has lessened I still worry. I hope the dizziness, fatigue, and brain fog are all anxiety
|