Medical Questions > Mens Health > Birth Control - Men Forum

gf take an ipil tablet her periods were delayed by 6 days

User Profile
i have done unprotected anal sex with my gf and cum was not going inside the vagina at the time of ejaculation my gf take an ipil tablet for safty with in 24 hrs but her periods was not comming shall i go for pregnancy test..? What i do her periods were delayed by 6 days

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 9th, 2011
Birth Control - Men Answer A28341
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If she has taken the emergency contraception within 24-48 hours of the unprotected sexual intercourse, it should work in preventing pregnancy (provided you were not sexually active without protection after taking it). Withdrawal bleeding usually occurs within 5-7 days of taking the emergency contraceptive indicating that the pill has worked (which may not occur if the pill has been taken very close to the last period). Since the emergency contraceptives contain high doses of hormones, these can disrupt the normal hormonal and period pattern. Wait and watch for her next periods which can be delayed. If pregnancy is suspected, she should consider visiting her doctor/gynecologist at the earliest for thorough examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately).
If pregnancy gets ruled out, further investigations would be needed to look for the underlying cause for her absent periods. Treatment as indicated by her examination findings/investigation results would be started to help her.
If pregnancy gets ruled out, and if you intend to remain sexually active, she should consider visiting her gynecologist to get started on suitable regular birth control measures to be protected (after her periods). She should be regular with birth control use as instructed. Avoid having unprotected sexual contact.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control - Men , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.