Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Getting sick of people.

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
User Profile
I wonder if anyone can relate to this..

At times, especially right now, I feel no desire to talk to anyone. I feel like everyone in my dorm is stupid and not worth my time. I've been working at the front desk all day, trying to read, and I keep getting interrupted by people who want to make mindless small talk with me. I despise it. I just want everyone to GO AWAY.

Have you ever felt this agitated??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile aaron_234
|

replied January 25th, 2009
Experienced User
You responded to my post about my bipolar friend vanishing, so I'll say something here. I've often had periods where I didn't want people around. I just didn't feel like talking. It felt like a chore!! It seemed dissapointing. I didn't think I was receiving what I wanted to out of it. I want to talk about the things of interest to me, and when people don't seem real enthusiastic, I do feel letdown! Sometimes, people want to talk about things that their interested in, and it just seems annoying to pay attention!
I held a writing job at one time, and tuned out everyone for a few months. When I tried to reestablish a connection with them later, they kept their distance. So isolating yourself too much for too long can harm your social life.
You're very young. I would advise not making isolation a habit. I recommend that you interact sometimes, even if it's not what you want to do. Maybe find a reason to. Like bring up something of interest to you, and do the talking. Maybe just think about expressing yourself in the best way possible, so their interest or reaction doesn't matter so much.
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2009
I feel this way sometimes as well. I have ADHD and i sometimes feel the urge to change my surroundings quite often. i do not take any medications or drugs i just rely on my mental healing. Isolating yourself can make things worse but in some cases it's good to get away from too much interaction, depending on your personality. Doing what makes you happiest is first, but if isolation doesn't make you happy then you must interject and interact. Being young has its advantages as well as it's disadvantages. Maybe you need some time to find yourself, and maybe you are just sick of where you are. just question yourself and find out what it is that give you this feeling.
|

replied January 27th, 2009
I can relate
I've felt the same way before, I know exactly what you're talking about. Like, you really just want to do what you're doing and be left alone, but people keep seeming to go out of their way to bother you, because they think you look bored, or need company or you're sad. Meanwhile, all you really want is your space but you don't want to sit in your room, or hide away in a hole. Why can't you just sit somewhere and be left alone? You don't want to be mean and just tell people to shut up and go away, so you have to sit there and tolerate their inane boring small talk.

I used to feel like that all the time in school or when I worked customer serve retail jobs. If you're a customer and you need something, fine, but if you just want to chat because I don't look like I'm doing anything, GO AWAY!

Sometimes at home I feel the same with my girlfriend. I'll just want to sit there, quiet, and be left alone but she'll keep asking if something is wrong. I'm perfectly happy just 'being', but if I'm not talking or doing something, she wonders what I need. Sometimes I make excuses to go out or do something up in my office, just to be alone. I love her more than life, and if she had something she wanted or needed me to do, I'd do it, but sometimes I just want to be left alone, but she thinks that means I'm upset or something is wrong.

Is there? I don't know. But you're not alone. I'm a very social well adjusted person most of the time, too. Just sometimes... I wish there were no people.
|

User Profile
replied July 19th, 2009
life sucks for some of us
I hate how success relies on socializing. Some of us don't want to be involved with other people. Then the 'pack mentality' sets in and the loner gets shut out.
|

replied July 19th, 2009
I was like this for awhile also I realized I was just depressed I felt like I couldnt relate to anyone but it was true everyone seemed so immature and my mom said I was getting bitter,idk I realized that I needed to be more positive!
|

replied July 21st, 2009
Life is a mess
I'm 40 and I just recently realized that I am BiPolar with clinical depression. It blows me away thinking about what my life would be like now if I had been diagnosed earlier in my mental development. I am a mess. You have friends out there just like you. I have no friends, never have and probably never will so I decided to talk online to people with my problems.
|

replied July 24th, 2009
I feel like that all the time! At work, I have "sidework" that I need to do. Sometimes I get so focused on it, that I don't like people bothering me (plus I work in Customer Service too, so it's kind of hard!!) Today some lady yelled at me because she doesn't understand theconcept of "minimum balance" and "available balance". I wanted to reach over and slap her across the face! And I absolutely can't stand it when I'm on the phone helping someone with their personal stuff on their account and people just walk up to my station when the other people that I work with are not busy. I try to socialize with the other girls at work, but because they're all whiny about their problems, and I have a hard time talking about my problems, I think that they think that I'm a snob. So I'm never invited anywhere. Not like I'd go anyway, but it's still nice to be invited. I'm also at a higher intellectual level than they are, even if they're all older than me Razz I know it's hard to not want to deal with people, but when you're feeling your ups and want to actually hang out, it's gonna be hard for people to want to hang out with you. I wish you luck, and hope that your irritablily with other people will subside.
|

replied August 16th, 2009
I agree with Aaron about the "pack mentality". I just left a job that I worked at for 10 years and hated for most of those years. I wasnt very sociable at all and I wanted to remain alone with my work and thoughts. I only had a handful of people there that I could stand to talk to. I felt everyone else there was stupid, shallow, spoiled. I felt that I was on another level intellectually than they were. I still feel that way. I ended up relocating to another state to get a change of scenery and just be alone. I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and I laid it out to him how I feel about most people and he understands when I want to crawl inside myself. I think most people in general are stupid and insecure with themselves. I feel like I could entertain myself alone for weeks. Maybe because I was an only child. Anyway, my therapist where I used to live told me it is common for BP people to feel that most people are stupid. The original poster may need to move out of the dorm, get an apartment with maybe one other roommate and make it clear to that one person, how you are and how you feel sometimes. Anyway, I feel the "pack mentality" happens when they just dont understand you and hate that you are different than they are, so they gang up on you to help get rid of you or to make you "conform". That happened to me at my old job and instead of conforming, I walked away. Happily.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
It's not a bad thing to want to be left alone. Your mental stability intricately relies on your being able to judge your limits. When that happens, it's a good idea to retreat to your own sanctity and find internal peace. It's much better for you to do that than blow up at people. This does not make you mentally unbalanced; rather, it is a sign of maturity to know your limits. When you feel rested and balanced, you will enjoy the special people in your life with new reverance.
|

replied June 14th, 2010
I have a son who is 20 years of age. He recently was diagnosed with BPD. Now many things makes sense of his behavior thru his teen years. I always though everything was due to puberty or hormones of being a teenager.
So I didn't paid much attention, just tried to leave him alone and not be in his way sort of like to let him be. Then he started doing drugs and cutting and ended up in a psychiatric hospital for a week.
When he got out, we sent him to his grandparents in florida, for him to have a change of escenery. Just to sent him away from his bad influence friends and depression. But recently i found out because he told me, that he fantasizes of killing people and that he has the certainty he will kill someone before he dies. He said to me,he has fantacize killing everyone in his facebook account and he thinks when whe eat dinner to stick his fork into who ever is closest's (me)forehead.
He thinks a lot on how he would kill himself and he has these very morbid thoughs of killing everybody. Is this a normal thing of the bpolar disorder???? is this ok??? who should I talk to??? what should I do??? he is supposed to come back home in the next 4 weeks and to make things worse, he doesnt want to come home, I am frigging out and he doesnt have a place to live neither. Please help??? I am desperate!!!!
|

replied June 14th, 2010
Supporter
I am mildly Bi-polar and was diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 47. It was brought on by severe stress, I had just found out my daughter had cancer. When I was slipping into a depression I sought help immediately because I knew I had to be emotionally healthy to get through this hard time in my life. Luckily on the right medication I am doing fine. You son unfortunately seems to be more severely bi-polar, their are so many degrees of this disorder. I know how hard it must be on you, you feel helpless, and as a Mom you want to take care of your family. At least he is being open with you which means he is reaching out for help. I think if you can talk him into it see if he will admit himself into a psychiatric hospital. Is he open to getting help. Is he on any medication at this time. Maybe his grandparents can talk to him. Many times people with mental illness will turn to drugs and alcohol to numb themselves because they just dont feel right. I would definately call his doctor immediately and let him know what your son has been telling you. He may beable to help you get a court order to have your son put in a mental health facility which sounds like the best place for him now. It will be the safest for him and others. They can give him the help he needs if he is open to it. I wish you the best of luck.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
The closest think I have had to a friend is a potato so some of you are doing pretty good.
|
Quick Reply