Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

getting periods every 3 weeks

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I'm 23 and have pretty much always had regular periods every 4 weeks however while I was on a overseas holiday for 2 months, they started coming every 3 weeks. I'm guessing it was because of the change in lifestyle etc as another girl I was travelling with had the same problem. Since I've been back home (for over a month) they've still be coming every 3 weeks. Will they go back to 4 weeks eventually or am I stuck with having them every 3 weeks from now on - it's not much fun Sad
Is there anything I can do to get them back to 4 weeks?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bep63
|

User Profile
replied September 29th, 2008
Supporter
The length of a "normal" menstrual cycle can vary from 21 days (short cycle) to a long cycle of 40 days. I believe that our menstrual cycles vary according to the women we are closest to...so that your cycle may have been influenced by hers.

How long have you been home?

I'd suggest that you give it a few months to find YOUR personal rhythm...as the menstrual cycle in originally synch with the moon you might even track the cycle of the moon and notice when you menstruate in relation with this...and see if it extends as you relax.
|
Users who thank rooted for this post: bep63 

replied October 11th, 2008
I remember this happening to my cousin visiting from Asia. She stayed for about six months and we actually had to take her to the doctor because her period was coming at odd times. Basically it had to do with the change of food and (i guess for lack of a better word) atmosphere! Your body is actually a very sensitive little thing that needs time to adapt (or acclimatize) to your environment. So your period might actually go back to what you're use to after awhile.

However, if it seems to be sticking around and it's kind of irksome having a three-week period (which I would definitley find a little unnerving and annoying!), maybe consider going on a form of birth control. It would regulate your menstrual cycle to any length that you want it to be- you can have it shorter, or even more shorter... =)
|
Users who thank MissTeaCup for this post: bep63 

replied June 9th, 2009
3-week cycle
I hope you guys are right, that this is a short-term thing. Have to say though, it might not be. I had my son at 29, and didn't have a period for a year (yay!) while I nursed. When it came back, it was every 3 weeks. For six years. Being a single mother of two and in school, there wasn't much money for doctors, so I just lived with it. A NP I knew suspected it was lack of progesterone, but didn't advise anything for it. I eventually reverted to the 4-week, set the calendar by it, period I had always had, but now, at 40, go back and forth. When I work out regularly, I'm on a 4-week cycle, when I don't, it's 3 weeks. So you never know.
|

replied June 28th, 2010
hey can anyone help me? i'm 17 yrs old. i have my period every 3 weeks sometimes 2 weeks. i hope you can help me. i'm afraid.
|

replied June 28th, 2011
I use to have very heavy periods that would last for up to 14 days. Sometimes I would have 2 or 3 periods a month. I also would bleed for a day or two then spot on the 3rd and 4th day then back to heavy on the 5th. I kept track of all this for a little over 6mths and then went to see my Gyn. I ended up having a thermal ablasion and a D&C. All I can say is that right after I hurt like hell and I felt like I could give birth( I was like 31 when I had it done), but it was well worth it! I started having periods when I was 12 and it was hell all those years, if I had known then what I know now, I would of had this done way back then. I am going to be 44 next month so dont wait to long to go see your doctor.
|

replied June 28th, 2010
Especially eHealthy
ruble, There is no reason to be afraid. If I am you, I will see my doctor. They can prescribe birt control pills that will regulate your cycles.

Birth control pills are often used to regulate a woman's cycle, to treat PMS and hormone caused skin problems. There is absolutely no reason to be ashamed or afraid of what you are experiencing. If it is neccisary, talk to your mom to get you to a doctor.

Best of luck!
|

replied June 21st, 2011
I'm 44 yrs old and i keep getting my monthly every week, i have been really stressed lately is this why?
|

replied January 17th, 2012
period
It's my understanding that exercise, diet and work environment are big determining factors for when a woman's period comes. Especially at younger ages.
|

replied April 6th, 2012
irregular periods
I'm 26, and ever since I got my tubes tied two years ago I've had so many troubles with my period. From every two weeks to 6 week spread. They are always heavy and horrible pain. Idk what's going on. Or what I can do to regulate it . Any suggestions?
|

replied May 7th, 2012
Womens Health
I'm 30 and for the last year I have had 2 periods a mth at any given time. Last mth it was nothing but old blood for 4 days, then bright red the last day. It ended on the 25th of April. Now Today I'm spotting ad cramping. Other symptoms: Painful intercourse, Painful Bow movements, Moody ad tired all the time. Checked for STD's, came back negative. Has anyone experienced this? Going to doctors Thur. Nervous!!!
|

replied December 5th, 2013
That happened to me also and no matter how much research i did or different doctors i talked to, they didnt have an acceptable answer. The most reputable doctor told me it was my body adjusting to not being on any form of birth control, which was not accurate as I never really was on birth control. A (male) friend of mine said his former girlfriend was the same way so I knew i wasnt crazy. Finally when my doctor retired and I got a new one, he explained that if there is scar tissue on the tube it would cause more pain and bleeding and clots than usual (and there was plenty of pain!) but to fix it would require surgury, which could possibly cause more scarring :S. So I lived with it. A positive note though, as the scarring heals it does get gradually better, though it has been years and I've never gotten back to my mild easy periods.
|

replied October 25th, 2012
irregular menstral cycle
A friend of mine thought she was Peri-menopausal, she was having what seemed like hot-flashes, was bleeding frequently, heavily, and painfully. Finally she almost passed out at the hair dressers! It turned out that she had a large cyst on her ovary and the surgery was similar to a c-section. So happy that she found out, though we wish she would have gone to the doctor sooner. The moral to the story; don't WAIT! btw I'm here because I've been on a 3 week cycle for the last 3 times. Never happened before, but I've been traveling/ moving and generally unsettled for the same length of time, so I'll just try to hook back up with the moon...
Thanks for all of your comments, it has helped!
|
Quick Reply