Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

getting off pain pills

Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
i have had back fusion...now i have artheritus..that i tak pills for... i have become addicted to them... at times i have abused them including taking to many and taking them the wrong way. I am aqbout to loose my marriage due to my addiction. Is ther anmy way to get help with out having to see a doctor. I dont want this on my medical records that im a junkie.. I have asked my wife to hold my pills and give me my daily allowence so i dont abuse them... I dont feel it is fair i have to ask her to do that.. I want to quit but i alsi cant function through the day at work or other chores at home if i dont take them.. what can i do to get off them but also help with the pain so i can have a normal life. I would rather quit taking the pils and live in the daily pain i go through than go through the pain of loosing my soul mate.... what can i do what can i take so im not fealing like i m on my death bed when i quit.. i have tried before and my legs go into the worst pain ever ... also i get sick and vomit... break out into cold sweats.. i even end up w full body acks and become very emotional
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 16th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi RAWLIRUE sorry to hear about your situation, first of all your not a "junkie" because i know you don't want to be addicted to them it has just happened. I don't know how you will stop taking to many of them without a doctors help, although you could keep giving them to your wife to give to you when needed, am sure she doesn't mind because you love each other and she will want to help you. The other thing i was going to suggest is getting stronger pain relief than what your having now and still give them to your wife so you don't take to many and then you wont need as many hope this helps Jenny
|

replied January 20th, 2009
Hi Raw

I am so sorry to hear of your situation and have found myself in this too... like you took them for a condition that I still have and woke and realised omg what is going on. They were prescribed and now feel sick to the stomach that no one has ever told me that they can and ARE addictive.

Ok .. I have started a blog.. this is where I get to off load.. without putting the extra stress on my husband.. who I spoke to yesterday about all this.

I am sure you wife will understand you have to be honest iwth her and YOURSELF. If you really want off then... start cutting down.. this is what I am going to do and am.... I have been looking around for support and have to say not easy.. .but I believe it will be there somewhere.

Give yourself time.. plan your journey and cut down as much as you can... I am on or was on 30 mg x 2 taken twice daily. They are also with paracetamol... so now on 400mg paracetamol with 20 mg x 2 twice daily for a week... then I am going to cut them in half and go for that for the next week and keep cutting down.

I have tried the stopping like you have.. and yes a bad flu is an under statement symptom.. so going for the cutting down option. Then hopefully over time my body will be used to less and less and fingers crossed it won't be so hard... there is no doubt Raw that it will be hard... but you have to know that you CAN do this and will do this.

The thing is ... you know now and that is the first step... so take it slowly... be honest with your wife.. ask her if she minds to help you.. and I am sure she will. But remember you have to do this for you.. in your time. Hope to hear how it goes. take care.

Oh.. I am not sure about getting stronger painkillers... maybe they could explain that.. also you may have to be aware from now of what you take medication wise for the rest of your life.. but you are prepared.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Verysad has great advice. I have been watching the same scenario for years now. My mother has disk degenerative disease. No one will operate on her back until all her discs are no longer usable. Its a terrible story and its breaking my heart to see her do this to herself. But i'd like to say that im proud that your wanting to do something about your addiction. thats the 1st step! Great advice to slowly cut down on your dose. very slowly..too much will put you back into ur sicknesses. That was your body going thru withdrawals.... you will experience withdrawals but thats the price you have to pay to be healthy again. Support is very important...let your wife know how important it is that she's supportive of you...its very difficult when you have no one having faith in you. Also keep in mind that its very important to get off these pills. it can really damage your liver...which can cause even more problems. So keep that in mind and it will help you stay strong for your health and your marriage. Good luck!!!!
|

Hi Maggie

Sorry that your mother is ill... this is the condition I have and it is very painful so I fully see where your mother is with this.. and of course where you are too.

She isn't in this situation cause she wants to be.. I know I am not and I am sure Raw isnt' either... why the heck drs don't make it more public what can happen if you are given these darn painkillers.

Even now I sit here and I should have taken my second lot of tablets a few hours ago.. and it disgusts me that I am in pain and I have to take them cause of how my back condition makes me feel and the fear of withdrawal..but I am doing something...oh looks like I am off to write on my blog.
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Help getting off pain pills.
Eventually you need to wean your self off the pain pills. However before you do you need to feed your body with nutritional products first. I can help you with that. Let me know if you want additional information.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
HELP
My fiance is addicted to pain pills and I know he really wants to quit and I am doing everything in my power to help him, but I am not sure where to start? I have read up on other people's posts and he is starting to cut back each week. What else do I need to know!? Please help!
|

replied December 1st, 2009
associated, if you dont mind can you let me know what the nutritional products are. I am also addicted to pain pills and am searching for answers.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
Experienced User
Maybe you can get on suboxone (a drug to help users/abusers get clean) as pain management! It is becoming increasingly more popular as a pain management drug that does not get you high but def. helps with pain! I went on it because I was tired of the dependance and abuse using so many narcotics to help with fibromyalgia pain. It gave me my life back. I could think more clearly, etc. So I figure if you start taking it for "pain management" not dependance issues then that will show in your medical records (for pain management and be sure to emphasize this to your dr.) and trust me you WILL "have a normal life"! I just quit suboxone cold turkey (after weaning down to 2mg per day) and it was NOTHING like opiate withdrawal! No restless legs etc. just very mild diarhea, little energy, and can't sleep for 3-4 days max.!!! Oh and no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever switching to suboxone.
|

replied December 9th, 2009
you have trouble functioning without them because of the withdrawal...ask your doctor what can help you with the withdrawal so you can get off them.
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Hi, new to the group. In 2006 I was in a coma for 4 months, then a ventilator for 2 months. Morphine shots every 2 hours. Started on Tylenol 4 when I got out. Thought after almost 4 years I was getting addicted. I saw my doctor today and he said I was being to hard on myself and that I also have PTSD, and gave me another perscription for pain pills. Is that odd? You tell your doctor you think you are hooked and they say you are ok and hand you another script. I left feeling a little relieved that the pain will go away but a little skeptical about my doctor? Any comments, is this normal?

akharbolt
|

replied February 16th, 2010
arkabolt my doc also justkeeps raising my dose as well.I have been dependant on pills for years and were not addicts we are dependant because we need them or we go through withdrawals or deal with extreme pain.I am lookinfg for a different doctor and am having a third surgery on the same leg that started my dependency.I would like that nutritional information though longhorn725.I wish that the dea didnt control the drugs and the department of health and human services did.We would all be getting the help we need if that was the case.ill keep you all posted on how it is going for me because the weening process really sucks when you have to get up and go to work.
|

replied February 19th, 2010
well i am on day 5 and am sweting and freezing all at the same time.LOL you have to laugh sometimes when you are going through something like this.Is it fun or easy or going o.k.?Not even close i am suffering severly and have turned to alcohol to help with the withdrawals.It really does not do much at all but i am getting throught it people.You are not alone out there.You can talk to people like that helps anyways but at least you know you are not the only going through some serious toilet runs literally.I hope some pthers share what they are experienceing so we can all help ease the pain we are all going through.Get back at you all real soon i have to work tomorrow had three days off so will see how work goes tomorrow.This is your bopy theonlykings lettin you know your not alone post up and tell me what you are going through
|

replied March 8th, 2010
Please help anyone...
Hi.... my husband and I have been on pain pills... for too long now. We both started when they were prescribed to us (him for back surgery and me for throwing my bac out and carpal tunnel AND breaking my leg)... but now we have become dependant and addicted to them... like junkies buying them off the street. We tried going to our dr. asking for suboxone and they would only give them to us if we went a treatment program that lasted 8 hours a day 7 days a week only then giving us the suboxone once a day.
We CANT DO THAT! We have two beautiful kids... we both have jobs. We tapered down significantly but went RIGHT back to it. I'm sorry tapering doesnt work... well doesnt work for us. Is there anyone that can help us? Tell us where to get the suboxone? Is there a clinic or something that wont inhabit our entire lives?

Please email me if you have any advice for us... We are taking responsibility for what we have done... but now we have realized we fell into a very bad bad place and only want out.
The money we've lost... and continue to spend. Now Im starting to see the effects of the drugs (vicoden and norcos) wreak havoc on my body.
We live in the Bay Area, in California... is there anyone else out there that can help us?
We have Kaiser... and the only help is like I said if we give our lives to them for an entire month...or they wont help. We both have jobs....and telling them we have to leave for drug treatment isnt going to do anything short of getting us fired.
We tried cold turkey and I really really respect and look up to those of you that can do it. We tried... and it just didnt work. IF you can help us... please please directly e-mail me. Please. Please. Please. Thank you!

|

replied June 29th, 2010
Hommie wrote:
Maybe you can get on suboxone (a drug to help users/abusers get clean) as pain management! It is becoming increasingly more popular as a pain management drug that does not get you high but def. helps with pain! I went on it because I was tired of the dependance and abuse using so many narcotics to help with fibromyalgia pain. It gave me my life back. I could think more clearly, etc. So I figure if you start taking it for "pain management" not dependance issues then that will show in your medical records (for pain management and be sure to emphasize this to your dr.) and trust me you WILL "have a normal life"! I just quit suboxone cold turkey (after weaning down to 2mg per day) and it was NOTHING like opiate withdrawal! No restless legs etc. just very mild diarhea, little energy, and can't sleep for 3-4 days max.!!! Oh and no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever switching to suboxone.

I can't thank you enough for the tremendous comfort your post just brought me! I want very much to go the suboxone route, as I've been through cold turkey from pain meds and I simply CANNOT go through that again! It was a nightmare, and it took me to day #12 just to feel normal again. Then came the fatigue, which lasted more than a month. I do have an extremely painful medical condition, but found I ended up liking the pain meds because they relax me, and the rest is history....

I'm looking forward to trying suboxone. The only thing bad I heard is that you have to be well into withdrawal before you begin it, is that true? Because I don't think I could stand that. Please let me know and I thank you again for the hope your post gave me.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
Experienced User
I don't know if anyone is still checking this? I've been so busy with a new baby and my other 3 children, I'm so sorry I haven't replied!

I'm sure you know by now, from either Internet searches or from seeking help, that you only have to be 36 hours into detox to start Suboxone. I took some Xanax during that time and was getting cold sweats and anxious but not into the nausea, diarrhea, etc part of withdrawal when I went into Dr to get started on Suboxone. The second they give you the first dose you hold it under your tongue and you will begin to calm down and feel instant relief within about 3 minutes! I was so tired and miserable from the addiction and Suboxone was a lifesaver! I weaned off Suboxone once for almost 2 months but then broke my foot in 2 places and couldn't live with that pain. And I was miserable and very pregnant when I weaned off Suboxone so I know it's possible to quit! I couldn't get any other med's to help with the withdrawals like sleeping pills (restless legs prevented sleep) because of being pregnant. But I really don't feel the need to quit Suboxone right now because I fear I will end up back on opiates due to high stress level right now, plus I have chronic pain issues which it's also helping. I do not plan to stay on it forever though...

Anyway, I hope you found help and if you haven't I will be checking back so please post a reply or send me a message. There are so many ways your life will become better that it's so worth it.
|

replied March 21st, 2011
Yes you can !!!
Day 6 off pain pills.First I have to say it has been much easier than I thought it would be. The worst part for me is wondering when I'm going to get my full sober energy back.I had all the typical symtoms but deffenitly not as bad as I thought it would be. Your mind plays tricks on you making you think it's gonna be worse than it is.Make sure that you have no phone numbers in your phone to call so you can get more pills ERASE THEM!!! Out of sight out of mind!!! I've fought other addictions and BEAT them..The worse part of all is no sleep...Get some Xanax it helps..
|