Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

gestational diabetes

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
i have gestational diabetes and havnt not been about to see my doctor for a month now i no it not safe but i had family problems if i go into labor at 36 weeks why ima gestational diabetes will my baby be ok
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 8th, 2009
Gestationcal dietbetes?? how old are you??
and how far along are you?? how come you haven't been able to see your doctor for a month now?? thats crazy. your baby should be fine you just need to go to th3 doctors though.
|

replied March 10th, 2009
gestational diabetes
Diabetes in most forms are caused by being unable to digest the sugars in milk and other dairy products. As an infant we produce lactase, an enzyme necessary to digest the massive amount of sugar in mothers milk. After weaning we are told that from that moment on we are considered to be calfs, and to be wetnursed by the cow. However, at some stage in our life after weaning, the production of lactase ceases, wit the result that we can't digest the milk sugars any more.

Insulin is not effective with undigested sugars. the brain (the biocomputer) keeps on triggering the pancreas to produce insulin, equally ineffective. In your case I would suggest an avoidance of all dairy products for the rest of your life. That means even little bits in tea or coffee. Check labels on foods to see if they contain dairy and if soo, avoid them like the plague.

Good luck

Kinergy
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I am sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with Kinergy. You need the calcium that comes from dairy products (plus the vitamin D and many other minerals/vitamins) NOW more than ever because you are pregnant. Your fetus needs those vitamins/minerals in order to develop normally and healthily. As for your gestational diabetes, you need to get checked. A gestational diabetes baby is at high risk for having low blood sugar when it is born, it is at risk of shoulder dystocia (shoulders and belly too big to fit through the birth canal...this is extremely dangerous for both you and the baby), it is not a good idea to be unchecked by your OB. Risks for you are high and dangerous as well. You need to try to find a way to see a doctor. It is unsafe for you to have your baby before it is due, unless your doctor has decided it, and as with all high risk pregnancies, your birth should be done in a hospital or at least with a doctor or midwife present that can take you to the hospital should complications arise.
|