Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Geographic Tongue

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
User Profile
Hi. I was told by my dentist I have geographic tongue. How do I go about helping to get rid of this? I've read things like Ibuprofen and B12 can help. I really don't know. It seems that sugary beverages give me this issue.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile user769045
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2017
Because geographic tongue is a benign (harmless) condition and does not typically cause symptoms, treatment is usually unnecessary. Even those patients who experience sensitivity to hot or spicy foods, generally do not require treatment. With severe symptoms, topical corticosteroids, zinc supplements, and topical anesthetic rinses seem to reduce the discomfort in some patients.
To reduce discomfort associated with geographic tongue:
Avoid eating hot, spicy, acidic or salty foods.
Avoid tobacco products.
Avoid heavily flavored candy or other food products.
Avoid acidic fruits and vegetables.
Limit your consumption of highly sugary and processed foods.
Drink an ample amount of water throughout the day.
Drink chilled herbal teas like green or chamomile tea.
|
Users who thank MarinaKrepkh for this post: Soccer1058 

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2017
1)Vegetable Glycerin
Good home remedy for geographic tongue is vegetable glycerin. It is especially effective in keeping the tongue well moisturized, which speeds up the healing process. It even helps get rid of bad breath.
Soak a cotton ball in vegetable glycerin and apply it on your tongue. Wait 5 minutes then brush your tongue with a soft-bristle toothbrush. Rinse with warm water. Do this twice a day for several days.
You can even use a glycerin mouthwash 2 or 3 times a day.
2)Mint
The antibacterial property in mint inhibits the growth of bacteria in the mouth, which prevents many oral problems. In addition, it prevents burning sensations in your tongue and freshens up your breath.
Prepare a strong cup of mint tea, chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and then drink it. Do this a few times daily.
Chew a few fresh mint leaves or mint gum daily.
Use mint-based oral products, such as toothpaste or mouthwash.
3)Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a good treatment option. It helps restore your mouth’s natural pH balance and fight off the infection. Its sour and acidic taste may cause some burning sensation, but soon you will notice improvement in your condition.
Mix 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Use it as a mouthwash 2 or 3 times a day.
Stir 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a little raw honey in a glass of water. Sip this solution slowly 1 or 2 times a day.
Follow both these remedies until symptoms subside.
4)Vitamin B
As geographic tongue can occur due to a vitamin B deficiency, you need to eat more vitamin B-rich foods. This vitamin can even prevent recurrence of patches on your tongue.
Include foods rich in vitamin B (vitamin B12, in particular) in your diet, such as whole grains, eggs, milk, cheese, yogurt, salmon, oats, bran, avocados, bananas, turkey, and liver.
If you wish to take vitamin B supplements, consult your doctor for the proper dosage.
|
Users who thank user769045 for this post: Soccer1058 

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2017
Experienced User
Very helpful thank you both!
|
Quick Reply