Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

General Q and A Question

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I had a wooden splinter on my left ankle, I was sitting at a wooden deck next to a ferry stop place, then when I want to get up my left ankle scraped on the wooden deck and a wood splinter got in my ankle. It didn't went in vertically but went in horizontally across the skin. Here's a pic of the wound after I manage to take the bigger piece out : http://a64.[image removed]/14dmzc3.jpg
It only bleed a little after I took the big piece out, and as you can see there's still smaller pieces left in there so I went to a doctor, the doctor manage to take all the pieces out with local anesthetic. The doctor open up the wound and there was some bleeding happening, the wound it's now covered with a gauze. I asked the doctor whether there is any risk of tetanus, as I haven't had a tetanus shot in more than 10 years (in fact I don't think I've ever had one?), as I don't like the idea of having vaccination and their possible side effects. The doctor said it should be fine without one as it's not a deep

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2017
General Q and A Answer A60148
The need for a tetanus vaccine - booster dose is once in 10 years . so if you have not had a booster dose in the last 10 years, then you can go ahead and have a booster dose of the tetanus toxoid.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.