Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

General Q and A Question

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi, a few months ago I got an Apple Watch. I run pretty regularly and used to use a Garmin heart rate monitor. When snug on my wrist, the Apple Watch heart rate data seems comparable to the Garmin HRM if not more accurate. Recently, my mom was admitted to the ER for an atrial flutter. She was asking me about the Apple Watch heart rate data, so I went back and took a closer look at my own.

Recently I've noticed a heart rate spike while I'm asleep, often around 3 or 4 a.m. I wanted to be sure this wasn't a fluke, so I made sure my Watch was firmly snug on my wrist last night and fully charged. Looking at my data this morning, my heart rate was between 112-114 consistantly between 3:45 and 5 am (readings are taken every few minutes). It dropped to 48 after for a few minutes. The rest of the night my heart rate was around 60. My usual resting heart rate is anywhere between 55-72. Is it normal for such a high HR spike when I'm asleep and not active?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2016
General Q and A Answer A59750
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
This can be simple sinus tachycardia or sick sinua syndrome but it can only be cleared with ECG. Multiple episodes of tachycardia with signs and symptoms of light headedness warrant investigation. 24 hrs holter monitering can also be done to document your rate and ryhtm.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.