Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

General Q and A Question

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my post. This is a last resort effort to find some information and clarity on the health issues I've been dealing with.

I've been seeing several doctors now for upwards of a year regarding my current issues and no one has been able to help me. My initial symptoms that I presented to urgent care/emergency room with were chest pressure/pain in my upper left area of my chest, near sternum but definitely centered in the left pectoral muscle area, with shortness of breath and dizziness. Obviously, all of these symptoms immediately point fingers towards a cardiac related issue and all clinics and hospitals are going to immediately move into emergency mode to make sure it's not a heart attack or other fatal heart issue. I was administered an EKG test, only to find a benign right bundle branch block. I was referred to an interventional cardiologist who had me do a stress echo test that came back with all good results and showing no signs of any issues. I was told that these symptoms were most likely related to stress and anxiety. While I do have periodic stress and anxiety, I do not believe that I have chronic stress and anxiety to the point where I would be feeling the symptoms day in and day out. I was sent home and told to see a psychiatrist or talk to somebody about anxiety medication.

I am prescribed Xanax and Valium, but I do not like the way either of them make me feel. I take them only in emergency situations when I know I'm having an actual panic attack or anxiety attack. That being said my same symptoms have continued to persist for the last eight months, but have now taken on some additional symptoms as well. New symptoms include, feeling of almost passing out, feeling of confusion and seeing stars, tingling sensation, metallic feeling all over body, feeling of not being able to swallow, feeling of needing to clear phlegm from throat, bizarre bodily sensations, feeling like the room is going in and out of focus, dizziness and of course 24/7 three finger pressure on my heart area of my chest and feeling of sharp stings all over body. I wake up and go to sleep with pressure on my chest. At night, when I lay down flat, it seems to be more severe and it is also hard to catch my breath. At night, I have been having the sensation of not being able to breathe once I drift off to sleep and wake up gasping for air and feeling terrified. Obviously this sounds like the signs of sleep apnea, but I've never had sleep apnea before so who knows if this is an extension of what I'm currently dealing with into my sleep or if it's a completely different issue… I have no idea.

Lately it feels like everything has been getting worse and worse to the point where it's hard to do my work throughout the day. It's beginning to drive me crazy decent station on my chest and all the other symptoms. I feel like I'm losing my mind with it all a bit. I've gone back to a new cardiologist who's going to do a CT scan of my heart, give me a 24 hour Holter monitor and do another Echo. I've also recently seen a pulmonologist who has ruled out anything with the Longs. I've also had chest x-rays done and then come back fine. I am so at a loss with all of this extremely frustrated.

I can't fathom that I'm supposed to just live with this chest pressure and sensation of dizziness. Surely my body is trying to tell me something right?!

Yes, I do work in a very stressful environment. Yes I have had major life changes going on including marriage and kid on the way. But to be honest I have several days where there is no stress at all and I still have all of the symptoms without fail. Please, please, please, please help shed some light on this. Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2016
General Q and A Answer A59155
Welcome to e health forum.

With all the history that you have provided it seems that extensive medical evaluation has found to be normal. hence your issues are more likely to be due to stress, anxiety, lack of sleep, etc .

The best way to manage this issue would be to openly talk to a counsellor which can reduce the stress on your mind, and hence let you be able to function normally.

Hence consult a psychiatrist at the earliest.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.