Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

General Anxiety Disorder and Stressful relationships at work

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi, i was not sure where to post this post as i am seeking advice about working relationships and how to deal with them.
I have General Anxiety Disorder, which doesnt help, but i am currently working in a really negative environment at work, and i have been having on set of Anxiety again, which has slowly crept in. Unfortenatly my manager is not a very approachable person, she never smiles, or says 'Hello', and continuously focus's on what staff have not done, (usually little things) rather then give staff encouragement and praise for what they have done. Also i feel that some younger members of staff in perticular who are in their early twenties, are being picked on for no reason, by certain staff members and by my manager. This has all contributed to some mild anxiety on my part, because i hate to see other people go through hurt, if they feel that they are not being treated as an equal or respected, and at times my anxiety has made me feel that at any moment i am about to enter the managers office, and blow my top by way of a few choice swear words, which for me would be a disaster, and id proberbly lose my job. I have no idea how to contain my anxiety with it all, and should i not get involved, for my own healths sake? I come home these days so up tight, and also had a mild panic attack on the bus home. i am currently looking for another job in a more positive environment, but meanwhile i am having to 'put up'. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 27th, 2011
I was working in an environment just like this. I spoke up and talked to the other employees about our issues, then I confronted my bosses about how it was making me feel. Unfortuneately I was the only one that spoke up and some of the others acted like it wasn't that bad, even though they explained differently to me. After confronting them twice about the situation, I recommended bringing in the owner and the managers told me that she would not help me out at all and instead make me the situation worse. I ended up quitting on the spot one day without any notice. I had an exit interview with the owner and she was shocked to hear everythign I had to say. I was left without a job but I found somethign better not too long after that. Sometimes you have to speak up but be aware of the fact that not everyone will back you up.
|

replied December 27th, 2011
Experienced User
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Like you, I ended up leaving without notice and wrote in a email my concerns to our head office. Feel much better for doing it, and my anxiety has improved with the help of medication also, which has worked fantastic for me! Removing myself from a toxic environment was also a positive move. My managers lack of interpersonal skills with her staff was shocking, and a few of the younger staff members were also having onset of anxiety due to her negative comments and inability to encourage and nurture.
Thanks again.
|