Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Gastric fistula between pouch and old stomach?

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
After much pain, I saw my surgeon (RNY 2004) and after an endoscopy and several other tests by gastroenterologist found a large fistula that goes from my pouch to my old stomach. In other words the old stomach is open for business again, and food is not being routed the way the surgery intended. My GE indicated I should have surgery soon to correct this. However my surgeon says in the thousands of surgeries he's done he's never had a patient with a fistula that needed surgery. And most of my pain was on the right side so he wasn't sure that was my problem. I want the hole in my stomach repaired! He scheduled me another endoscopy for the GE to actually go down into my old stomach to check for ulcers. Does anyone have any experience with gastro-gastric fistulas?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MaryD
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Gastogastric fistula is an abnormal channel that makes the old stomach and pouch communicating.
This is a rare and uncommon complication of gastric bypass surgery.
Leakage of ingested food through the fistula may allow the small pouch to empty faster, leading to increased volume of meals and increased appetite. Patients stop losing weight or begin regaining weight.
Severe abdominal pain and nausea after eating are common complains.
This fistula needs to be corrected with surgery.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied March 24th, 2011
Gastric Bypass Fistula
I am a 45 year old male that had Gastric Bypass Surgery in 01/2007. I did very well with over 100 pound weight loss but about 2 years later began to be able to eat and drink a significantly greater quantity than immediately after WLS. After an upper scope by my Dr., it was discovered that I had a fistula connected directly to my larger stomach about the same size as my pouch connection. I only experienced mild pain and discomfort due to my fistula, but 4 yrs later my fistula is quite large {3 times size of opening from my pouch) and I have regained 50 lbs. My Dr. gave me the option of surgical correction and my insurance company did approve after 1 rejection. I have now (3/2011) had the surgery and on my way back to my "ideal" weight. I wish everyone the best with their particular situation, as it is scary and does require surgical correction.
|

replied May 26th, 2011
fistula
Could you give more details on what they did during your surgery and who and where do you have it done
Did they cut away 80% of your old stomach?
|

replied May 26th, 2011
fistula
Could you give more details on what they did during your surgery and who and where do you have it done
Did they cut away 80% of your old stomach?
|

replied June 27th, 2009
Mary D-Gastric fistula
MaryD--I will let you know was just diagnosed had my surgery 10 yrs ago--had endoscopy Thurs 6/25/09 Upper GI scheduled for Mon 6/29 then back to GI Dr July 8 to see what to do--I will post after 7/8--I have the symptoms GERD- and increased appetite with less weight loss--so we will see--Beth R
|

replied March 11th, 2010
fistula
MaryD,
Did you get it repaired??? I have the same thing!
|

replied March 11th, 2010
fistula
MaryD,
Did you get it repaired??? I have the same thing!
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Similar Fistula Problem after RNY Bypass
Thats is very interesting.

I had RNY bypass in August 2008 and in November 2009 started having pains across my diaphragm. After months of much rigor-ma-roll, gall bladder, other and inconclusive testing by my family doctor I called the surgeon in April 2010 when I started having problems keeping food or water down (for 3 days).

The surgery team discovered the same fistulae problem with the old stomach along with a hiatal hernia with the pouch pushing up through the hiatal! They still need an endoscopy for ulcers. Surgeon said he had never seen this before.

I was told these repairs could not be done endoscopically and am quite upset. Pain is mild but at times become stabbing for a few seconds.

What are the dangers of not correcting this situation now?
Charles B
|

replied September 25th, 2010
I am new to this site, after CT abdomen, ultrasound on gall bladder and upper GI received diagnosis: gastric fistula between pouch and old stomach. Dr. said I am not a good candidate for surgery. Next step is endoscopy. Also gall bladder distended and spot or hemangioma on liver. Does anyone experience this also?
|

replied September 29th, 2010
What is the best test to have when you want to check you liver and or gall bladder? would that be a ultrasound or a CT scan.. or something else all together. Thanks for any feedback, having stomach issues.. yellowish/brown stool. very concerned.. and am seeing doctor next week. will ask for a test, just not sure what you all who have had tests, recommend? thanks
|

replied September 29th, 2010
What is the best test to have when you want to check you liver and or gall bladder? would that be a ultrasound or a CT scan.. or something else all together. Thanks for any feedback, having stomach issues.. yellowish/brown stool. very concerned.. and am seeing doctor next week. will ask for a test, just not sure what you all who have had tests, recommend? thanks
|

replied October 11th, 2010
i have a fistula that goes from my pouch to my old stomach and in pain i get so sick after i try to eat so much pain i'm in tears and my stomach fills up with air that i look pregnant. i go to sch, my surgery to fix it on 10-20-10... it does get worst if not treated trust me
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I too have a large fistula. RNY was done in 2003 with good success weight wise, I lost 200 lbs. Over the yrs gained back about 40. Last year I started losing weight had lots of pain, and just felt lousy. My general sent me to gastric guy who did a scope and found 2 ulcers(not near or caused by the fistula) and the fistula. The surgeon now is going to repair the fistula & remove the ulcers & take out my gallbladder (stones).Not looking forward to starting over emotionally recovering from a weight loss surgery (had lots of trouble the first time) and with diet ect.How did others handle this?
|