Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

gastric bypass stomach ulcers

Must Read
Stomach ulcers affect almost half of adults over 50. But what is an ulcer? And what types of ulcers do people experience? Basic info on ulcers here....
Common causes of ulcers can be easily avoided. What causes a stomach ulcer? And who is at risk of developing an ulcer? More information here....
Stomach ache is common, but comfort caused by an ulcer is distinct and lasting. Learn to identify symptoms of ulcers and know when to get medical help....
I had gastric bypass surgery in January 2007 & developed a stomach ulcer in June of that same year. I have been fighting it ever since. I am 6'3 & down to 165 pounds. Way too thin! I can't seem to find anything to eat. I am taking liquid carafate & nexium. Since having the surgery, I also found out that I am lactose intolerant.
Has anyone had this same thing. What can I eat? I need to gain some weight because it is getting serious. My gastric surgeon says that he can cut the ulcer out, but I will lose another 20 pounds while it heals. Help!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kailei22
|

User Profile
replied July 8th, 2008
Doctor
Why did you have gastric bypass surgery? Were you overweighted or else?
Where is the ulcer located?
What symptoms do you have? Why you can't eat?
|

replied July 28th, 2008
gastric bypass & ulcer
I had g.b. in Sept. of 06 and have developed an ulcer. I was told it was because of the anti-inflammatories I had been taking for arthritis. I, too, am having a hard time eating. The ulcer bothers me enough to make me not want to eat (which is really unusual). Seems many things upset it and I just don't have the urge to keep up my food intake. I am 5'9" and have dropped half my body weight - I now weigh about 136.. I'd like to know the easiest things on the stomach with the most protein and nutritive values.. I'm really not fond of protein drinks..
|

replied August 19th, 2010
WISH I COULD HAVE MY STOMACH ULCER REMOVED!
I had gbp in 2007 and have an ulcer.its already bled twice and i had to have blood transfusions. i now weigh 115lbs and i'm 5,3. my ulcer causes me unbearable pain around my ribs thru my back and navel area.what should i do? i want it taken out.i had a friend that had hers removed and is doing great. i'm tired of the pain.i'm on protonix and carafate. don't seem to help. just had a eng done last week and says my ulcer is even bigger but its at the tip of my pouch and espogus.the burning pain is gotta stop!
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2011
I had the gastric bypass done in December of 2010. I had an EGD done in April and found out that i had 2 ulcers. 1 in my esophogus and 1 in my stomach. With medication we did another EGD in June and the Ulcers were gone. In September I started to have pain that felt like a heart attack. The pain was located right below my sternum and radiated to my back. I was then hospitalized for 4 days where they did every test on my under the sun but refused to do the EGD. I finally went to see my gastric bypass doctor where he did the endoscope in his office while I was awake. He found a huge ulcer in my stomach and he put me on carafate and nexium. I am still in a ton of pain and still vomitting. There has to be an easier fix than time with someone that is pain the way I am. I am 5'6" and 140 pounds. I am not concerned with being too thin at this point but with all the vomitting i don't want to end up 100 pounds and sickly.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
I don't have an answer for you, as I, too, have an ulcer in my pouch and take Carafate and Protonix. It has, coupled with a few other issues, has caused enough concern to warrant having a gastric feeding tube put in, because my BMI is 20. I'm almost 5'5" and weigh 118. The 118 wouldn't be so bad if the BMI wasn't so low. Back to the drawing board . . . wait, that's operating table. (Trying to keep myself in a cheerful mood here.)
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2011
My wife just had a hookline put in her arm for feeding purposes. She had a GP in 03'. Found out she has ulcer in her pouch. was over 300 before GP, now 100. The hookline is to build her back up instead of a stomach feeding tube. Her Dr. said he would have to either reconstruct her pouch, taking the ulcer out, or reverse the GP
|