Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Gastric Bypass - Pains in Back

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
In January 2007 I had a Gastric Bypass, pretty much all has gone well, my weight loss has been great and I have lost 10st in total, and I think that my weight has now levelled out to where it will remain.

However, I suffer from trapped wind, mainly in my shoulder blade, but occasionally it travels down my left arm up into my neck, but I find this pain is manageable.

I also suffer from trapped wind in my back, my shoulder blades/kidney area (at least I think it's trapped wind). All I can say is the pain is unbearable, most of the times I have managed to control it at home, but 3 times in the past 2 years I have had to go to hospital as the pain has been so severe. The pain gets so bad that my body starts to shake, I start to wretch and I have hot and cold sweats. The hospital gives me morphine (15mg on my recent admittance) but it does nothing to take the pain away.

I also have Irritable Bowel and previously the hospital have diognosed constipation, however I am on a high fibre diet and take manevac daily, which works, so we know that it's not constipation, which they confirmed at my most recent attendance at A&E.

At hospital they do blood tests, urine tests and x-rays, but they can never find anything or the cause of the pain.

The first time I went into hospital I was admitted for a week, and as I said they prescribed constipation. I was i'll for several months afterwards and my weight plumeted 2 1/2 stone (as I said earlier, I have put this weight back on now and I think it has stabilised). I have since been back to hospital twice, but I have not been admitted as an inpatient.

I regularly get the pains in my back, but they are more uncomfortable, however occasionally they are unbearable.

Please can anybody help. I was back in hospital at the weekend with the back pains (which also now seem to spread to my abdomen, just at the bottom of my ribs). I'm scared to go out in case the pains start again, I am due to go on holiday next month to Egypt and again, i'm scared i'll get these pains and not be able to manage them.

Can anybody suggest what may be causing the pains and if there is anything I can do to avoid them.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 25th, 2010
Hello, i can't believe how familiar your story sounds to my own. I had my bypass in Jan 2009, i've lost 11 stone and feel fabulous. However i have begun to get the most severe pains in my back; the main pain is in both sides of my spine just above my kidney area. The doctor initially said it was muscle strain from sitting for long periods in uni and possibly bad posture, that was one episode in Sept 09, now it has begun again and its constant. The pain is unbearable but has always subsided a little when i threaten to go to hospital with it. Like you it moves down the sides to the front just under my ribs. It has got to the point sometimes when i can hardly take a proper breath without it hurting so badly. You now make me wonder if it is wind?? I went to the doctor last tuesday, she gave my naproxen for anti imflammatories, diazepam to help me sleep through the pain and sent me for an xray, which i have not heard anything back yet. If you find out anything more, about your symptoms, could you let me know? and i will do the same. I will try and contact my consultant for advice also. Its so nice to know i'm not the only one going through this (although i obviously wish neither of us were!!)

Regards
Carolyn x
|

replied March 30th, 2010
back and stomach pain after gastic bypass
i went to my hospital last night with bad back pain and stomach pain had my gastric bypass april 2009 i have got to see my surgeon 7 th may the hospital gave me buscopan i is to help with stomach spasams when i went to hospital i was crying with the pain i also was getting sweats and my bloodpressure was high the pain wore off but it was horrible i think it might be somthing to do with the bypass b cause it seems a few of us has had the same pains also if anyone find out anything please let us no and also how long you had the pain for
|

replied April 24th, 2010
gastric by pass
hi girls I had a bypass 4 months ago i have had horrific problems and treatment for a large raft of problems i too have pain under shoulder blades and lower in my back. The pain is excruciating and mine too doesnt respond to morphine. I have had it loads and for weeks at a time and i can assure you it is trapped wind try peppermint water reguarlly alhough my trapped wind laughs in the face of peppermint water and really is hard to part with it try one or two blankets wrapped around your shoulders xxx
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
Re: Gastric Bypass - Pains in Back
paraiba wrote:
In January 2007 I had a Gastric Bypass, pretty much all has gone well, my weight loss has been great and I have lost 10st in total, and I think that my weight has now levelled out to where it will remain.

However, I suffer from trapped wind, mainly in my shoulder blade, but occasionally it travels down my left arm up into my neck, but I find this pain is manageable.

I also suffer from trapped wind in my back, my shoulder blades/kidney area (at least I think it's trapped wind). All I can say is the pain is unbearable, most of the times I have managed to control it at home, but 3 times in the past 2 years I have had to go to hospital as the pain has been so severe. The pain gets so bad that my body starts to shake, I start to wretch and I have hot and cold sweats. The hospital gives me morphine (15mg on my recent admittance) but it does nothing to take the pain away.

I also have Irritable Bowel and previously the hospital have diognosed constipation, however I am on a high fibre diet and take manevac daily, which works, so we know that it's not constipation, which they confirmed at my most recent attendance at A&E.

At hospital they do blood tests, urine tests and x-rays, but they can never find anything or the cause of the pain.

The first time I went into hospital I was admitted for a week, and as I said they prescribed constipation. I was i'll for several months afterwards and my weight plumeted 2 1/2 stone (as I said earlier, I have put this weight back on now and I think it has stabilised). I have since been back to hospital twice, but I have not been admitted as an inpatient.

I regularly get the pains in my back, but they are more uncomfortable, however occasionally they are unbearable.

Please can anybody help. I was back in hospital at the weekend with the back pains (which also now seem to spread to my abdomen, just at the bottom of my ribs). I'm scared to go out in case the pains start again, I am due to go on holiday next month to Egypt and again, i'm scared i'll get these pains and not be able to manage them.

Can anybody suggest what may be causing the pains and if there is anything I can do to avoid them.
|

replied June 3rd, 2010
i went up hospital last night the paininmy upper abdoman and back was so bad i called a ambulance i have had this pain once befor and it was whwn i eat a bit of pork crackling i have had the bypass done a year now i never want to have that pain again but yesturday i aet lamb chop that was a bit crispie it must of been very hard to digest or got lodged i was even sick with the pain i was so badand they took a long time to see me so i got my son inlew to come and get me i did not stay to be seen then when i got home it started to wear of and i no it is whha you eat that is hard to digest that gives you this very bad excrutiating pain so stay of hard things to digest and dairy products it is defo these things that gives you this bad pain if i can help any one i will be happy to talk to you and you can also get intouch with me on face book take care all x
|