Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

gas and diarrhea

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I have been having excessive gas and loose stools and/or diarrhea for a few weeks. I was wondering if anyone has an idea what conditions would cause this. I have had a stomach ulcer before but did not have these types of symptoms. I am a 48 year old man. Can gallbladder issues cause these symptoms?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 18th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
The symptoms you have been experiencing are non specific ones and can be due to different gastrointestinal problems.
They can be, indeed, due to the gallbladder problems.
Actually, chronic gallbladder disease with low-grade inflammation and presence of gall stones can cause excessive abdominal gas, nausea, and abdominal discomfort after meals, with chronic diarrhea (4 - 10 bowel movements every day for at least 3 months).
Diarrhea and abdominal bloating, especially diarrhea, like first thing in the morning or soon after the breakfast, could be symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.
This could be also due to some hormonal imbalance (check your blood sugar levels, thyroid hormones).
Chronic infection, or malabsorption, like in case of pancreatitis, may lead to these symptoms, too.

Visit your physician!
|
Did you find this post helpful?