Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

gas and bloating with rectum pain

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
User Profile
Hello, My name is Poppy I'm 28 years old and I have several symptoms that are leaving me sick with fear - please can someone help me?

Here are my symptoms:

1) I have gas and bloating (all the time, not just after meals). I also sometimes get pain, but not always... it's sometimes a crampy pain, other times it's sharp. It's sometimes relieved with a bowel movement, sometimes it's not!

2) I have had problems with my bowels on and off for the last 18 months, most of the time I'm constipated, but sometimes have diarrhea, I eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of fluids... but still my bowel movements are very erratic. I can sometimes go days (4-7) without moving my bowels. No bleeding, that I'm aware of, but my stools are sometimes mis-shaped. I also have some mucus (but not always and only a little bit). On occasion I'm left with the sensation that I've not completely emptied my bowel, it's a horrid sensation and nothing I do gets rid of it, sometimes for hours at a time.

3) I feel nauseated quite often and for no apparent reason (not associated with food).

4) I have pain in my rectum (this is new, about 7 days I've had this) I also have a 'numb' sensation down there - very weird feeling (much like when you go to sleep on your arm and it goes all numb).

5) I've lost 1 stone in weight over the past 8 weeks - for no reason. No diet or exercise change (could be stress?). I am 5ft 8" and now weigh 9 stone

6) I am exceptionally fatigued, I can just about manage one trip round my garden before I start to feel weak and exhausted. (I do not suffer from depression).

Other things that may be relevant: I have recently been diagnosed with CFS (but now I'm scared that it's a mis-diagnosis). I have no history of colon cancer in my family.

Do you think I may have cancer? My husband and I are trying for our first child and now we're petrified that I have a life threatening illness... I'm too scared to go to my GP, please help me Crying or Very sad

Thanks so much,

Poppy

(sorry it's so long!!!)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi, Poppy!
Do you often feel an urgent need to have a bowel movement?
Are you getting diarrhea, especially after eating or first thing in the morning?
Is abdominal pain more intensive in evenings?
Do you find the ups and downs of pain related to your menstrual cycle?
Were these symptoms preceded with some major life event (stressful period) or with some intestinal infection?
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: Poppy28 

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Hello :)
Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it greatly.....

I often feel the need to go urgently, but when I try - I find I don't actually need to go at all.

At the moment I have constipation not diarrhea, food seems to make very little difference either way.

The abdominal pain has no pattern; it appears at different strengths night and day.

It is funny that you mention my cycle, as yes, I do get worse near my period (I'm 8 days late at the moment, which is not normal for me - I've just done a pregnancy test and that's negative).

No, nothing major, just normal everyday stresses that we all have to face... nothing to cause immense stress. No infections, that I'm aware of.
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Are your stool patterns alternating between diarrhea and constipation?
Do you have headache along with this symptoms?
Have you noticed some low back pain, too?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2008
Sometimes, yes.

Yes, I often have a mild headache.

No back pain (apart from when I have my menstrual cycle).
|

User Profile
replied July 3rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry for delayed post!

Your symptoms are very suggestive for irritable bowel syndrome (common intestinal muscle functioning disorder).
There is no specific laboratory or imaging test which can be performed to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome. It's more a diagnosis of exclusion.
There are some other condition that give similar symptoms, resembling IBS.
So, it's best to visit a doctor for firm diagnosis.
Conditions that can resemble IBS are: Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis and colorectal cancer.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied July 5th, 2008
You might want to get a colonoscopy
Gas comes from two main sources: swallowed air and the normal breakdown of undigested food -- especially sugar, starches, and fiber. I tried to make my mom healthy lunches for a week or so and she said "thanks but no thanks" because my fiber-packed meals were filling her with air. Do you eat a lot of fiber?

Marija's suggestion of IBS is a great one. Even though bloating can be caused by too much gas in the intestines, usually people who complain of bloating have normal amounts of gas. A lot of doctors think that feeling bloated is often the result of an intestinal disorder (like IBS), which makes people more sensitive to the presence of gas in their intestines. But, a pattern of gas and bloating may be an indication that a tumor is growing in the colon and occasionally causing a blockage. This is because even if the tumor isn't large enough to cause a bowel obstruction on its own, stool may periodically get hung up on the tumor while it's passing by.

A very small percentage of colon cancer is familial. I recommend talking to your doctor about getting a colonoscopy.

Donna
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2010
COLON PAIN
I've been having sharp pains in my colon thru out the day and sharper when i have a bowel movement. whats going on
|

replied August 10th, 2011
in pain
I too have this issue. Is it related to stress or possibly constipation ? I do have hemroids so could it be that? I use pepporation H ointment will that help? It is like sharp gas pains in the rectum. Help!!
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Try going for a 45 minute walk every evening. I found that it solved all of my problems.
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2012
poppy
hello . i'm a male 27 years old and i have the same symptoms of poppy,and every time i feel like i'm going to die, and i cannot stop my leg from shaking when i feel discomfort.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Same issue
I had the same issue for a few years. I was diagnosed with IBS varying from D to C (Diarhea and Constipation). But it got worse, I kept having to run to the bathroom and the pain was so intense. I'm only 33, live an active lifestyle, physically fit and wound up in the hospital for 6 days with Diverticulitis. It was no fun at all. Perhaps you should be on an antispasmoidal medication. Take it before you eat.
|

replied May 18th, 2013
sore tummy and bowel movement
I've had a really sore tummy for a couple of weeks now. I also get trapped wind and when going to toilet I have pain shooting through my right arm a couple of weeks before all of this I had a lot of blood like a period but wasn't. Should I be worried?
Charlene
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.