Hello, My name is Poppy I'm 28 years old and I have several symptoms that are leaving me sick with fear - please can someone help me?
Here are my symptoms:
1) I have gas and bloating (all the time, not just after meals). I also sometimes get pain, but not always... it's sometimes a crampy pain, other times it's sharp. It's sometimes relieved with a bowel movement, sometimes it's not!
2) I have had problems with my bowels on and off for the last 18 months, most of the time I'm constipated, but sometimes have diarrhea, I eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of fluids... but still my bowel movements are very erratic. I can sometimes go days (4-7) without moving my bowels. No bleeding, that I'm aware of, but my stools are sometimes mis-shaped. I also have some mucus (but not always and only a little bit). On occasion I'm left with the sensation that I've not completely emptied my bowel, it's a horrid sensation and nothing I do gets rid of it, sometimes for hours at a time.
3) I feel nauseated quite often and for no apparent reason (not associated with food).
4) I have pain in my rectum (this is new, about 7 days I've had this) I also have a 'numb' sensation down there - very weird feeling (much like when you go to sleep on your arm and it goes all numb).
5) I've lost 1 stone in weight over the past 8 weeks - for no reason. No diet or exercise change (could be stress?). I am 5ft 8" and now weigh 9 stone
6) I am exceptionally fatigued, I can just about manage one trip round my garden before I start to feel weak and exhausted. (I do not suffer from depression).
Other things that may be relevant: I have recently been diagnosed with CFS (but now I'm scared that it's a mis-diagnosis). I have no history of colon cancer in my family.
Do you think I may have cancer? My husband and I are trying for our first child and now we're petrified that I have a life threatening illness... I'm too scared to go to my GP, please help me
Do you often feel an urgent need to have a bowel movement?
Are you getting diarrhea, especially after eating or first thing in the morning?
Is abdominal pain more intensive in evenings?
Do you find the ups and downs of pain related to your menstrual cycle?
Were these symptoms preceded with some major life event (stressful period) or with some intestinal infection?
Your symptoms are very suggestive for irritable bowel syndrome (common intestinal muscle functioning disorder).
There is no specific laboratory or imaging test which can be performed to diagnose irritable bowel syndrome. It's more a diagnosis of exclusion.
There are some other condition that give similar symptoms, resembling IBS.
So, it's best to visit a doctor for firm diagnosis.
Conditions that can resemble IBS are: Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis and colorectal cancer.
Gas comes from two main sources: swallowed air and the normal breakdown of undigested food -- especially sugar, starches, and fiber. I tried to make my mom healthy lunches for a week or so and she said "thanks but no thanks" because my fiber-packed meals were filling her with air. Do you eat a lot of fiber?
Marija's suggestion of IBS is a great one. Even though bloating can be caused by too much gas in the intestines, usually people who complain of bloating have normal amounts of gas. A lot of doctors think that feeling bloated is often the result of an intestinal disorder (like IBS), which makes people more sensitive to the presence of gas in their intestines. But, a pattern of gas and bloating may be an indication that a tumor is growing in the colon and occasionally causing a blockage. This is because even if the tumor isn't large enough to cause a bowel obstruction on its own, stool may periodically get hung up on the tumor while it's passing by.
A very small percentage of colon cancer is familial. I recommend talking to your doctor about getting a colonoscopy.
I too have this issue. Is it related to stress or possibly constipation ? I do have hemroids so could it be that? I use pepporation H ointment will that help? It is like sharp gas pains in the rectum. Help!!
I had the same issue for a few years. I was diagnosed with IBS varying from D to C (Diarhea and Constipation). But it got worse, I kept having to run to the bathroom and the pain was so intense. I'm only 33, live an active lifestyle, physically fit and wound up in the hospital for 6 days with Diverticulitis. It was no fun at all. Perhaps you should be on an antispasmoidal medication. Take it before you eat.
I've had a really sore tummy for a couple of weeks now. I also get trapped wind and when going to toilet I have pain shooting through my right arm a couple of weeks before all of this I had a lot of blood like a period but wasn't. Should I be worried?