Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder surgery side effects (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Has anyone had a successful surgery? I read all these horror stories on line yet when I talk to people who've had it done, they say it was nothing. I have surgery scheduled for next Friday and I'm freaking out. I've never had a surgery before and I'm 40. I've only been put to sleep once when I was 14. That's my big fear, not the surgery, too. But, after reading several posts, I'm a little more nervous about the after affects. So, I need to hear something good.

I've had a pain under my right rib cage for a month now. I've had a similar pain throughout the years but it's never been constant. This is like a cramp or a stitch in my side. No other symptoms but the constancy of this one made me nervous so I went to my Dr. I knew it was the gallbladder and they went straight to a Hida Scan and found mine is functioning at a whopping 9%. I guess I'm lucky because I don't have the nausea or anything else.

Can someone positive write about their experience so I don't have a nervous breakdown before the surgery? Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper iann
|

replied March 31st, 2008
Hi Becki67,

I had surgery Feb 8th, 2008 and haven't had any problems since. You have to keep in mind that most of the people who've had a successful result from this surgery, are not online complaining of problems afterwards. It's the 5-10% who've suffered complications that you will usually find on the internet forums such as this. The vast majority do quite well after gallbladder removal.
|

replied February 24th, 2009
Post Gallbladder Surgery
Hi my name is Lisa, i had my gallbladder taken out on 13th feb 2009. 2 weeks on and i have had no problems, My incisions are healing nicely and i am able to eat my favourite foods again without having to worry about a gall attack. But i do find when i walk say 100meters i get a stitch in my side and i do feel buggered quicker as well, so if anybody is out there and has had surgery and knows what im talking about, please let me know what i should do.
Thank You
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
Tiggerlisa: fatigue
I had my gallbladder surgery only a week ago, and I feel more tired than usual. I was told by other people who underwent the surgery and also a doctor that you can still feel more tired than usual for up to two months after surgery, so what you're experiencing there is not that unusual. I don't know about the stitch in your side, but I'm guessing during surgery some nerves got cut and they're growing back, and your body is responding to that. It takes a while to completely heal.
|
Users who thank JasperJ for this post: Tiggerlisa 

replied June 23rd, 2009
it's been two weeks since my surgey and I'm feeling like back to normal except for going to the gym. I'm still waiting to start lifting weights. I also get tired easily with brisk walks, but in regards to food I haven't had any issue. I'm just having a regular and healthy diet.I don't have diarrhea nor nausea or anything like that. However, I'm still not eating fast food or any other junk food.
Good Luck with yours!
|

replied July 15th, 2009
Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed on june 2nd 2009, rested at home for 3 weeks and went back to work gardening. I can eat what i like, but i dont eat a lot of greasey foods, and dont have any after effects. I dont get tired, my stomach dosent bloat i feel great.
HOPE THIS HELPS.
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2009
Post Op Gallbladder Symptoms
I had my gallbladder removed 4 days ago and I'm experiencing severe dizziness and am lightheaded. I am concerned, but feel maybe my body is just adjusting to the change. This Forum is very assuring as I read other individual experiences. Thank you.
|

replied October 8th, 2009
I had my gallbladder out Thursday October 1st and I stopped taking my pain killers on Saturday the 3rd. I'm a little sore but nothing that needs to be taken care of by a pain killer. I haven't had any naseua, vomiting or diarrhea, i actually find that i'm more regular now. The only problem I have is that I had my surgery Thursday afternoon and was back to work on Tuesday and I've had to leave early because I'm super exhausted, that might also be because I'm trying to do too much too fast? However, I've read all the horror stories too and was extremely nervous about the surgery because of them, and I actually feel a thousand times better than when I still had my gallbladder. Hope this helps!
|

replied October 21st, 2009
Mine came out last Thurs-6 days postop today. Still having some pain, but I had some adhesions that had to be taken care of and most of my pain is going towards my appendix scar so I think it's from that. I can't imagine going back to work after only a week.

I'm tired easily as well, but I remember feeling like this from after my appendectomy. I think it's residual from the anesthesia, plus the assault on the body from the surgery. It went away completely after about a month after my appendectomy.
|

replied November 9th, 2010
Post-surgery effect
I had my gall bladder out on 9/24/10, and only within the last 2 - 3 weeks have I started experiencing chronic diarrhea. My surgeon told me that about 5% of people experience this and that "it eventually goes away." I hope so because it's getting old, really fast! Other than that, no other adverse side effects. Nausea is ALL gone and for that, I'm thankful.
|

replied November 9th, 2010
ihave just had surgery 2 days and came home today my symptoms were pain in my right back having surgery left me vomiting bile for 2 days and very sore sholders from the gas they put in you
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
I had the procedure a week ago. The pain has been manageable and is not that much of an issue. I'm still sore under my right rib. A bigger problem is digestion. I have diarrhea and fatigue. I don't have the nausea I had before. My situation was abnormal because I had a 99% ejection fraction on the HIDA so I had a hyperdynamic gallbladder. I have to travel soon for work so I'm hoping this all improves. We will see. I know there are medications that bind the bile which help with diarrhea if it doesn't improve.
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Me again, 2 weeks out and digestion is starting to stabilize. I eat healthy anyway so I'm sure that is one of the reasons my stomach is not acting up. No diarrhea over the past few days, fatigue is improving. Part of the problem is I'm hypothyroid and it was a little low so I'm increasing the synthroid dose. Some soreness under right rib but not horrible. Can't workout for another 4 weeks on Dr.s orders. No nightmare tales yet. Hope this helps anyone with a hyperactive GB (high ejection fraction) who is getting attack symptoms...
|

replied July 30th, 2011
Gallbladder removal
I had my surgery 3/11 and I felt a bit tired 3 weeks following. Unfortunately, I started to eat all the things that my body was rejecting before the surgery and have gained 10lbs within 2 months of having the surgery. Be conscience of your diet after your surgery. You will feel 100 times better after the surgery. The gallstone passing was more painful than child birth. Make sure you take it easy for 3 weeks after your surgery.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
Update
This is "ByeGB". Months later I'm pretty normal now. I'm working out alot etc... I had nausea come back last week but I stopped taking vitamin D every day and it went away. I wonder if that was the cause to begin with. Either way there is some peace of mind knowing that it cant be my gallbladder when something goes wrong. As twisted as that is since an organ was removed, it still helps. I remember having diarrhea and you could tell bile was dumping prior to the surgery so that shouldn't happen anymore. I have some IBS like symptoms anyway so I got on lotronex, which helps. They finally approved it through my insurance for men so I was all over it...
|

replied April 29th, 2012
mistake?
I'm lost..had my gb taken out 4/26/12...4 days ago and am MISERABLE! I'm sick too mystomach, bloated, pain, fever....I can't take much more.
|

replied April 30th, 2012
fever after surgery?
you could have an infection. I suggest you call your dr. asap
|
Users who thank guest52374 for this post: butterflyann 

replied April 30th, 2012
Experienced User
Agreed. Pain, bloating and nausea are all common, although the symptoms can be treated if you need. Post-operative fever is surprisingly common but not something you should ignore as it can be serious and needs to be checked. Call in if you have a mild fever and see what they want you to do, but if it is above about 101F then you need to be examined immediately.
|
Users who thank iann for this post: butterflyann 

replied April 30th, 2012
Waiting on lab results.fevers stay in the 100.6 range. All I can say is if this is normal I want my bad galbladder back! I can't seem to eat anything, I'm so weak n feel like I have the flu constantly. I pray for relief!
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2012
Experienced User
I am 17 and I got my gallbladder removed a year ago, I had a speedy recovery, had jello the day of and a normal breakfast the next morning, for me it was nothing, when I woke up I had some ice to eat and I asked if they could take my oxygen off, the oxygen was my first question when I was awakening, I didn't dream, it was more like my thoughts creating images that co-insided. I texted my boyfriend at the time and he even came up to the hospital and saw me.
|
12 >>