Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder surgery scar

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I had my gallbladder removed back in May. All of the lap. scars healed well and I've had no issues with my health since then.

Lately, though, one side of the biggest scar (the one up top) keeps swelling up a bit and itching right on the scar tissue. It's like having a bug bite, but I doubt any bug would bite the same exact spot over and over. It swells up and itches for a day or two, then disappears for a couple of weeks before returning again.

Has anyone had this happen after surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Experienced User
There are several types of abnormal scar healing that can cause them to become itchy. The most common type is called hypertrophic and the good news is that it should eventually heal almost as well as any other scar. Meanwhile it will be swollen, red and itchy and that could last for a year or two before it settles down.

More rarely scars can become keloid and will fail to heal. They may even grow considerably larger.
|
Did you find this post helpful?