Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder stones? Symptoms? Will it go away or get worse?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
HI everyone. I think I am having gallbladder problems, and I am not sure what to do about it.

3 years ago when I went to the ER for what turned out to be a kidney stone, at the time they did a CT scan (to find the stone) and informed me "we also see some gallstones (plural) but that is not cause for concern at this time.."

Fast forward 3 years...

On Monday I made chili dogs for the kids as we had to rush out the door after dinner for my sons cubscout meeting - midway through the meeting I was extremely uncomfortable. I blamed it on the food & eating fast & such.

The next night, after dinner, same thing.

The pain only lasted about 20 minutes both times. The third day (wednesday now) just from eating a small handful of peanut butter m&ms... there was the pain again. Lasted about 30 minutes. That night after dinner, same thing.

Then Thursday, Friday & Saturday I felt mostly fine. Maybe a little sore. Oh yeah, the spot it is hurting it under my right ribcage. It feels like I cant expand my chest enough to relieve the pressure, or cant get a deep enough breath, and it BURNS.

Anyway... I thought, maybe I dodged the bullet, and whatever it was went away, right?

No... last night, laying in bed, the pain came back with a vengance. Lasted somewhere over an hour, and was the worst it's been.

From everyones experience - have I reached the point I should go to a dr? Should I wait until it's hurting bad like that and go to the er? I'm so hesitant because I've got no insurance... is gallbladder trouble enough of an emergency they would take it out without insurance?

Any information you all can give me, I'd be very grateful.

After breakfast today, I just feel like I have severe heartburn - which I never get.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Lots of people have gallstones and no symptoms, so don't feel that it has to be that. Sounds more like heartburn. Or gastritis. Or one of many things with similar symptoms.

Certainly doesn't sound like anything severe enough that they would do emergency surgery. You need to be yellow or running a serious fever before you get to that stage. Or just maybe have that level of pain for 24 hours plus, indicating a blocked bile duct that isn't clearing itself.

Still, it isn't a one-off and it is getting worse if anything. I'd want to see a doctor. Trouble is, whatever it is they'll just be guessing without seeing you in pain )or even if they do!), so it might take a while and a bunch of tests to find out what's wrong.
|

replied February 9th, 2012
Sounds like Gallbladder to me. I see the surgeon tomorrow to have mine removed. Try using a heating pad when the pain is bad. To answer your question about hospital and how it works. If the gallbladder isn't removed it will become infected and cause bigger health issues, including death. Hospitals can not turn any one away without insurance. Hospitals get federal monies to cover the cost for those without insurance. Once you get a bill call or go to their billing office and talk to them. Keep in mind you will get a bill from the anethesialogist too. They don't get grants but they will be willing to work out a payment plan or may just adjust it all off. Oh and the dr doing the surgery will send a separate bill too.I have put my pain off for over two years, now it's pretty much unbearable and am looking forward to the removal of it. Best of luck.
|

replied February 22nd, 2012
I am sorry to differ with you. I just had gallbladder removed on the 7th of Feb. I went in for a hernia fix and woke up with no gallbladder. I had no signs or systems. no pain no heartburn nothing. When I woke up nexto to my bed was a small container with 15 stones. the doctor sai8d my insides were a mess. So do not wait to be tested if you are having the pain and heart burn then seek the attention of a doctor.I was in the middle of a gallbladder attack and did not know it. I could have died if the gallbladder had exploded. The duct was blocked. Please do not wait.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Go see yr doctor. It is better to know exactly what is going on.

It does sound like Gallstones. If it is and they are now giving symptoms it is not likely it will get better and trust me, you don't want it to get worse. The pain has been compared to the very worst childbirth!

L
|