Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder removal and gastric lap band

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
User Profile
Dear Doctors,

I had my gall bladder out 8 months ago (I had no gall stones but the gb was inflamed) and I still have a dull persistent pain in that area. I have no other symptoms (no nausea, jaundice etc). I do have a gastric lap-band. My questions are:
Could the band be affecting my recovery? I take a lot of pain medication (paracetomol and codein), could they be affecting the pain? Would taking bile salts help?
Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A13761
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

The gallbladder may be removed due to two indications: gallstones and inflammation of the gallbladder. Sometimes these two conditions can be found at the same time in individuals. After the surgery, especially after laparoscopy, individuals may experience local peritonitis, because there is leakage of bile in case the clips are not placed properly. In rare cases, between 5 and 40% of the patients that have their gallbladder removed experience postcholecystectomy syndrome, which is charaterized with chronic pain in the upper right abdomen and gastrointestinal distress.

Given the data that you described, it is not likely that the pain may be because the gastric lap-band interferes in the recovery. It is likely that you experience postcholecystectomy syndrome. You may consider seeing a gastroenterologist for further diagnosis and treatment options.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.