Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gallbladder problems?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hi
I am a 28 yo white female. In October, I had an episode where I woke up in the middle of night and was very nauseous and I threw up. I had eaten "badly"...hot dogs, smores, etc. as we were camping. I had just lost about 15 pounds and was used to drinking Slimfast and eating healthy. Fast forward to December. Since December 20th, Ive had 4 episodes where if I eat late at night (spicy, sweet, or fatty foods) I wake up in the middle of the night sweating and nauseous. I usually end up throwing up, then I feel fine.

Monday morning, I got sick again, but this time I had diarrhea all day. Then on Tuesday, I still didnt feel good, and I had a normal BM, but it was whitish-gray in color. I've also had a pain in my upper right quadrant (under my ribs) and right in the middle of my upper back. I just havent felt good, period, and Im typically very healthy and feel fine.

I went to the doctor yesterday (family practice). My WBC is normal. I think everything was normal. I had an ultrasound today and she said she didnt see anything abnormal (no stones or inflammation), but it will go to pathology. I have a feeling they will call me and tell me they dont know whats wrong with me. But the ultrasound and Xray did show that I was "constipated." But this odd to me b/c I go everyday, usually twice a day and I eat a ton of fiber. And this morning I actually had diarrhea before the U/S bc I took corectol (per MD suggestion) last night, then was NPO at midnight. The last thing I drank before the U/S was hot chocolate at 9:30pm, then woke up at 4am feeling sick.

So I dont know where to go from here. I dont want to be a hypochondriac, but there is definitely something causing me to wake up in the middle of night and be sick. And no, Im not pregnant-I've taken several tests.

More background-I have 2 small children, but pretty healthy. Not underweight or overweight.
Should I see another doctor or just wait and see if these episodes stop??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 12th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Your symptoms are very suggestive for a gallbladder disease.
The whitish-grey colored stool, result from problems in the biliary system (the drainage system of the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas, bile salts give the stool its normal brown color)
It's good to know that a high white blood cell count is a common finding in many (but not all) patients with gallbladder inflammation.
Also, if an ultrasound does not detect stones, but gallstones are still strongly suspected, the test should be repeated.
I'll suggest you to check few other things like your blood sugar level (untreated diabetes can lead to episodes of nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea alternated with the periods of constipation), duodenal ulcer, or pancreatitis.
First start with retesting for gallbladder disease.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied January 14th, 2009
It could be one of a few things. It could be a stomach ulcer, gallbladder disease or possibly even acid reflux. The thing that leads me most to believe its your gallbladder is that you said you got sick after eating fatty or spicy foods which can really set off a bad gallbladder. You said you have two small children..well pregnancy is a huge factor in causing your gallbladder to go bad. I just had mine taken out a week ago and it started acting up after I had my second child. Spicy, greasy and fatty foods will really irritate your gallbladder and chocolate as well is a no no. If they did an ultrasound and found no gallstones, request to have a HIDA scan done. That's what they finally did with me after all other tests found nothing and sure enough, my gallbladder was not functioning at all. After my surgery, they said I had no stones, but my gallbladder was inflamed. Have you had any pain? When you have a bad gallbladder, you can often times have pain in your upper abdomen and it can go all the way around to your back. Clay colored stools are also a sign of gallbladder problems. I think they should run that scan for you and see what they find. If its not your gallbladder, it might be a stomach ulcer or acid reflux. Acid reflux flares up at night and eating fatty and spicy foods can also set it off. Stomach ulcers can make you sick as well. If they don't find anything wrong with your gallbladder, ask for an Endoscopy or upper GI x ray and those tests should find an ulcer or acid reflux if those two things are happening.
|

Thanks for your responses-very helpful.
Monday was my last episode and it happened after I drank a cup of coffee-I was throwing up within an hour. But then this morning, I had coffee and a big breakfast and I have felt fine. SO then I start thinking my mind is just playing tricks on me, lol!

Anyway, tonite I had a hot dog (an hour ago) and now I am feeling a dull, throbbing pain under my ribs on right side and my upper back has been hurting all day...so it might be an interesitng night.

I told myself if I had one more attack, I'de call my PCP and ask for the HIDA scan or should I just go to a GI doc?

Oh and my PCP did offer Prevacid, but I dont feel heartburn. My main bad feeling is extreme nausea and/or sour stomach and the right side/back pain.

thanks again for your responses..
Paula
|

Thanks for your responses-very helpful.
Monday was my last episode and it happened after I drank a cup of coffee-I was throwing up within an hour. But then this morning, I had coffee and a big breakfast and I have felt fine. SO then I start thinking my mind is just playing tricks on me, lol!

Anyway, tonite I had a hot dog (an hour ago) and now I am feeling a dull, throbbing pain under my ribs on right side and my upper back has been hurting all day...so it might be an interesitng night.

I told myself if I had one more attack, I'de call my PCP and ask for the HIDA scan or should I just go to a GI doc?

Oh and my PCP did offer Prevacid, but I dont feel heartburn. My main bad feeling is extreme nausea and/or sour stomach and the right side/back pain.

thanks again for your responses..
Paula
|

replied May 14th, 2009
Gallbladder problems?
I also had a clear ultrasound, but continue to have pain. I have heard that acupuncture can help with gallbladder problems, if you are willing to investigate alternatives.

I will be starting acupuncture treatments next week, and will message again if I have any positive results.
|

replied August 1st, 2013
gallbladder or what
someone help me. family history of gallbladder issues and removal. i have had extremely bad gas and bloating after i eat anything healthy or not. its been going on a few months. for the past month it has gotten worse. last week i had been sick to my stomach along with the gassy bloated feeling then progressed to keeping me in bed for three days zero energy and thought i was gonna die after two saltine crackers but i was starving. had nuclear scan, ultrasounds prior to this. everything came back normal. went to the er sunday no vomitting just really sick to my stomach when i tried to eat. no problems on empty stomach but only relief i can get is belching and passing gas. it was so bad this past weekend i didnt sleep cuz i was constantly having to sit up to belch. like i said having to do this has increased drastically in 2 months. its really upsetting me becuz now i have to take two beano before i eat anything and drink mylanta after. this is not normal. any help is appreciated cuz the drs here arent helping at all.
|

replied August 1st, 2013
someone help me. family history of gallbladder issues and removal. i have had extremely bad gas and bloating after i eat anything healthy or not. its been going on a few months. for the past month it has gotten worse. last week i had been sick to my stomach along with the gassy bloated feeling then progressed to keeping me in bed for three days zero energy and thought i was gonna die after two saltine crackers but i was starving. had nuclear scan, ultrasounds prior to this. everything came back normal. went to the er sunday no vomitting just really sick to my stomach when i tried to eat. no problems on empty stomach but only relief i can get is belching and passing gas. it was so bad this past weekend i didnt sleep cuz i was constantly having to sit up to belch. like i said having to do this has increased drastically in 2 months. its really upsetting me becuz now i have to take two beano before i eat anything and drink mylanta after. this is not normal. any help is appreciated cuz the drs here arent helping at all.
|

replied August 1st, 2013
I Do GetTwinGes In My Side Periodically And Fell Like My Gallbladder Is Being Squeezed. No Pain That's Constant Our Debilitating Though.
|