Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gall Bladder Drain

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
My mother had a drain put in after she was not able to give consent to have the surgery. She had been admitted into the hospital and was on morphine at the time. We had been told then that she would have it for 4-6 weeks and that it could come out sooner if she was better.

My mother has been in extreme pain from the drain and has stopped eating. Her pain has now caused her to stop walking as well but the Dr. says it must stay in and he has scheduled surgery to where it will actually be 7 weeks.

I called and begged for help and we did have surgery rescheduled but after my mother was prepped and ready to go at the hospital, the Dr. came in and said that he had not consented to the surgery, his secretary had set the surgery up. The Dr. did not perform the surgery even though it was over 4 weeks with the drain.

Has anyone else had a drain? How long did you have it in? Did you have pain? Suggestions?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper petuniaj
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Unfortunately, you did not describe the medical condition that required the placement of this drain, or where this drain was placed, and so it is difficult for me to offer you any general advice.

Based upon the experiences that you have described with this surgeon, however, perhaps you should seek a second opinion from another surgeon....

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied August 27th, 2011
I had a drain fitted as I had a severe infection of the gall bladder,
it was placed just by the rib on my right side into a duct then into the gall bladder, this was only supposed to be in for 10 days but ended up being in for 7 to 8 weeks,
I have just had it removed yesterday and there was no pain at first but on the way back home it began to feel a stabbing pain every bump in the road, now there is a constant strong pain (10 on a scale of 1-10)I am taking 200 mgs of tramadol twice a day and dihydracodine 1 up to 4 times a day for breakthrough pain and this is just keeping it barely livable, also there is a swelling in the general area of the site of the gall bladder,

should this be happening and will it abate eventually
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.