Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Gall Bladder back pain?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I was just curious if anyone experienced constant middle back pain? I know the symptoms say you can have pain between shoulder blades, but my pain is middle lower than shoulder blades(right at bra strap). It actually feels like my bra is always too tight (which it isn't). I was getting pains in right upper abdominal and that is when I was diagnosed with gallstones and was told I needed to have my GB removed. I am just nervous that I have something more serious going on with this constant pain in my back and maybe it wasn't my stones causing my pain. I have cut down on my fat intake, but doesn't seem to help the pain. It is like a tight feeling. Is it possible that it just settled there? I am nervous that I have something more serious going on and maybe I should have a CT or xray before I go ahead and just get my GB removed?? I am a 36 yr old female.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jamade
|

replied December 6th, 2011
Always ask for an ultrasound. X-rays and CT's aren't the preferred method for detecting gallstones and an abdominal CT gives you a walloping 200 times the amount of radiation that a single chest X-ray gives you.
Ultrasounds are painless and noninvasive.

I do have occasional back pain that radiates to my shoulder blade, and I've noticed my back is stiffer than it usually was.
|

replied December 6th, 2011
back pain
Thanks for responding. I did get an ultrasound and that is when they detected the stones. I was just concerned if it was the actual stones causing me the back problems and if I should get a CT or xray of my back/chest to see if it is something else before I go and get my GB removed. I didn't want to have unecessary surgery if it's not going to help me. It seems like I get the pain in my back more than under my ribs & it's there all the time, sometimes stronger pain after a bigger meal, but there is always that constant tight feeling around mid back were bra strap sits. I just wasn't sure if the back pain was related to the stones??? Do you get the pain only after you eat or does it come and go throughout the day??
|

replied January 2nd, 2012
When I had gall stones, I had that constant pain in my back as well. It always felt like a knife was being shoved through my back to the front. The most horrible, annoying pain. I also would get it after certain foods, and for a long time I thought it was heart burn so I would drink bottle after bottle of antacid. Sounds to me, like you are having the same pains I did. And the surgery helped so much. Good luck! And just a word of warning, when you have it out, it is still very possible to have attack pains. I thought they didnt take out my gallbladder because they were so strong, but they call them phantom gallbladder attacks. Hope you feel better!
|

replied January 17th, 2012
Yes. My pain felt like someone was stabbing from the bottom of my sternum right through my back. This was in 1990 and my HMO almost killed me by making me wait two weeks for a surgery approval.
|