Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

GAD: Anxiety when alone?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi there,

I'm curious if anyone has any insight on why I can't relax and feel more anxious when alone vs. when someone is home. To qualify this, I am not afraid of being alone (not afraid of people breaking in, etc.) and I do enjoy being alone. However, when I'm alone I have a much harder time relaxing - I feel edgy, have butterfly feelings in my stomach and notice my muscles clenching.

For example, if I'm working from home and am alone, I have trouble concentrating, feel edgy and restless and feel tension in my stomach. If someone is here, I am able to concentrate, and don't feel edgy and restless.

What's this about?? Has anyone else had a similar experience, and if so, what have you done to resolve it?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ElvaX
|

replied February 20th, 2009
anxiety when alone
I've dealt with this for years. The main reason is simply because your mind wanders when there is no one else to engage your everyday life with. you'll begin to think about all the things that are bothering you, and this will heighten your anxiety. have faith, you're not alone. what helps me, is to go out and find something to keep myself busy!
|

replied February 20th, 2009
rescue remedy
rescue remedy - a small bottle of flower infusions..put a few drops on your tongue - my doctor recommended it it really helps you to relax if you're anxious or stressed. it works i tried it. also hot milk and a teaspoon of sugar will induce sleep. Hope that helps! I think you need to address head on any issues you have that are bothering you...and take control of the situation, if its effecting your daily functionality go to the doctor...stress is not good for your health...actively seek help to resolve it...maybe a pyscologist or councillor and doctor...do it right away and don't suffer or allow it to progress...hope you resolve it. take care
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I feel the same way too.
wow! when i read your post, i felt as it were me typing. I am exactly the same way. I think mine began from a young age, a situation i was in triggered what this is. i was 10 or 11, my mother went to work and i had to get up for school. i woke up and saw no one was home. i immediately began to feel panicky, and very anxious. I was hysteric, looking for my dad, or brother to be there. But there was no one. So I remember just walking around the living room pacing back and forth (there were no cell phones then) so I had no one to call.
What seemed like an hour was only 10 minutes, then my dad walked in, with a bag of mcdonald's breakfast!
Immediately when he got home I went off at him, "where were you!!!" etc etc.
Anyways, ever since then, if I am left alone, I feel edgy, anxious, lightheaded, can't concentrate or focus on anything and basically cannot relax.
Once, my husband is home or another adult, I feel safe, relaxed and calmer.
Ive been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks my whole life, and even on medicine for it.
Its just something Ive been dealing with and one day hope to overcome.
I hope we both can find a resolution to this problem....
|

replied November 28th, 2009
in life there isnt 100% cures for everything... but what u can do is orchestrate coping mechanisms...this means find your own methods of at least lessening the anxiety...like rescue remedy is a great flower infusion that makes one feel less anxious, also have a special person u can call, have a phone with u in yr pocket at all times so u know help is always at hand, go to bed regular times so yre not lying there panicking, drink warm milk n sugar to relax you, and remember its just a mind set ...its all to do with the mind...try to confront yr issues ...overcome them...and really ...try to identify your passions goals in life to focus on what makes u happy ...because panic attacks are due to being unhappy with an element of your life, so address whats making you unhappy and try with all your might to fix it.
|

replied December 6th, 2009
i'm a teacher. I suffered with the feeling also, espeacilly during my long school holiday. Is called "do-nothingnism". But i don't know what to do or don't in the mood to do anything when i'm alone?!
|

replied December 6th, 2009
sorry hun you're a teacher yet your spelling is atrocious!!!

try...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/

and do spell checks!!! take care
|

replied January 28th, 2010
ElvaX not everyone can spell perfectly! leave her alone .. this site is too help not be horrible
|

replied January 25th, 2012
I'm the same way, my friends and family are great to be around for a while but they make me want to be alone afterwards. But being alone panics me, i get so depressed and can't do anything about it after a while. I found listening to music or keeping the tv on help. But having a tv on all the time has become a bad habit for me.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
I've got that lonely feeling! Whoa that lonely feelin!
I feel the exact same way everytime I'm alone. Part of it spurs from trust issues I have with women. The other part I believe to be is that I don't have a dog anymore. Recently my dog passed away from a heart attack. He was my bestfriend. I've had a dog my whole life and being with out one has caused me to have anxiety because I know my dog will never leave me. Now when I'm alone I think of everything in my life that bothers me. Sometimes I get really emotional (and I'm a very strong non emotion person). I'm confident I'm battling with depression and missing my dog is causing anxiety. I try to engulf myself in activities and friends but all they seem to do is let me down (it's not there fault they have there own lives).
My trust issues are causing me to not feel (spurring from my past relationships). I tend to bottle up all of my emotion in fear of being hurt, never letting the ones I care about in (usually blows up in my face).
I'm on the same page as all of you with being alone and going crazy feeling like I'm crawling out of my skin. I've been hearing a lot about companion pets. If you have issues with being alone try a companion pet. Get a dog, a cat, a bird, anything that will approach you when you least expect it something that can love you unconditionally. I'm sure it will help. Please let me know if it helps you. I'm strongly considering it.
|

replied July 19th, 2012
I've been having this situation go on for almost a yr now. The thought of spending time alone and quiet seems like such a peaceful thing, yet when it comes time everyone leaves I find myself feeling anxious inside to the point I give in and if possible go with that person or find a place to go so I'm not alone later. I've seen doctors and I know there isn't any quick fix but I would like to feel I'm making continuous progress or at the very least a least could learn ways to calm myself down. Any help,tips,advice anything at this point would be great and very helpful. Thank you!
|

replied November 9th, 2014
help
I myself have been battling with this for two years. My mom died,,,and then nine months later my dad died. My oldest son moved out and then my baby girl started kidnergarden, my husband has left for 3-6 weeks on business and all of a sudden I am alone. I dont' work and know I should just to be out around people but now have come to a point just driving my daughter to school is a huge emotional task. help
|