Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

funny taste in mouth with new crown

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
I just had a new crown put in a couple weeks ago. Then I began noticing a funny taste on that side of my mouth -- not a bad taste, but not a natural one either. Fearing that the crown is not seated properly, I returned to my dentist. He checked and said the tooth is fine, and then speculated that the taste is from gum irritation. But my gums don't feel irritated, and the taste seems to me to be seeping out from the tooth. Anyone ever heard of anything like this before, and what should I do about it? I don't want to end up getting an infection under the tooth or getting sick from the strange taste in my mouth.

Thanks,
LN
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
If anything I would think the taste could have been for some infection that might have been in there and has released...Just my thoughts....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied September 7th, 2010
funny taste
I have been having the same problem since a new onlay and filling were done last year. Have you discovered the source of the taste yet? My dentist was not able to detect any problems with the dental work either. I think the taste is due to a composite material used for fillings, perhaps breaking down. Perhaps the onlay was made with a composite, although the dental office denies this. It was made by a computer system CAD/CAM the same day. I am very worried about ingesting this material, if that is what is causing the taste.
|

replied October 15th, 2010
metallic taste after filling
I have this same situation. The odd metallic taste appeared two months after having a filling in my back tooth. Went back to the dentist, he couldn't find anything... redid the filling and said the tooth was getting weak and that he didn't think I needed a crown, but would watch it. It felt great for the first month again. Now almost two months after the second filling I have the same weird taste. It's frustrating because I have never in my 30+ years of having fillings experienced this. I really don't like going to the dentist, especially to repair the same tooth! I am going to find a new dentist but am at a loss as to how to find a good and honest one. Any thoughts??
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
bad taste and drainage in mouth after root canal
I Have had the same thing been to my dentist, and endodntist, periodontist, and ENT no one can figure this out and call it "a perceived feeling" I am so sick of hearing that wish I could trade them and let them taste it for awhile. Has anyone figured this out?
|

replied July 19th, 2011
crowns taste bad
Me too, had three crowns in the back and now food tastes plasticky (the only way I can describe it), Dr. can't figure out why but it just tastes bad and feels odd in my mouth
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
WEIRD METALLIC TASTE AFTER TOOTH FILLING
You know what guys, I have this strange matallic like taste in my mouth too after tooth filling. Moreover, my tooth is occasionally aching and at some point, it's really excruciating. The first thing I did was. consulted my dentist,however, he didn't make all things clear. The second thing I did is checked the web about this. The more I saw explanations, the more I got confused with what is the root cause of this. This is frustrating because most dentists couldn't exactly figure out why is this happening. It leaves us unsatisfied and still anxious of what might happen to our teeth condition.
|

replied May 2nd, 2012
WEIRD METALLIC TASTE AFTER TOOTH FILLING
You know what guys, I have this strange matallic like taste in my mouth too after tooth filling. Moreover, my tooth is occasionally aching and at some point, it's really excruciating. The first thing I did was. consulted my dentist,however, he didn't make all things clear. The second thing I did is checked the web about this. The more I saw explanations, the more I got confused with what is the root cause of this. This is frustrating because most dentists couldn't exactly figure out why is this happening. It leaves us unsatisfied and still anxious of what might happen to our teeth condition.
|

replied August 1st, 2012
"wasabi or curry" taste in mouth after new crown
I too have a new crown 7/12/12 and the taste is similar to the temp - - like chewing on zinc and everything tastes like wasabi or curry. I have a feeling it has to do with the galvanic activity of the alloy in the acidic bath of our mouths. Most people have a more base chemical level of their mouths. The zinc and aluminum are a perfect anod and the indium, gold and palladium are cathodes. Look up palladium allergy and such. We're a minority in the dentistry world.
|

replied March 5th, 2014
Food tastes awful after crown put in
My food tastes just awful after I had a crown put in. I get so hungry and food smells so good, but the taste is just terrible. I can't even say it is a metallic taste. It is just awful and I can't describe it. I have seen similar problems here. I have yet to contact the dentist, but I doubt very much they will fess up to anything. If someone else has had a similar problem, did it go away? When? How? Did you have to do anything?
|