Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Frustrated!

I have recently been diagnosed with TMJ. I am 18. I love to sing and exercise. I originally thought it was an ear problem, and tried to avoid loud noise. It turned out to be my jaw. I have a jaw splint, I've been taking aspirin, and I started physical therapy. I only had one physical therapy appointment, I've had my jaw splint about a week or two, but the pain is getting WORSE! I can't sing anymore, and I'm really upset about it, because I love to sing to rock music, but it obviously puts stress on the joint.

Will it get better? I hear lots of people have problems with this, and I am truly afraid I will not get better easily. I want to be able to sing again more than anything.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 20th, 2011
TMJ
Hello,

I am so sorry that you are only 18 and have to suffer with the terrible pain of TMJ. I have TMJ as well and I have had it for quite a few years now and I'm still trying to find someone who can give me the right solution. I have to tell you, a mouth guard will NOT help you. The mouth guard is to prevent you from grinding your teeth and that's only if you do grind them. I have never grinded my teeth yet I was told the mouth guard will help. TMJ is arthritis of the jaw, how can a mouth guard help that? I take many painkillers and anti-inflammatories, ok the anti-inflams work with the pain but I don't want to be taking pills for the rest of my life. Just works to cover it up. I don't want to cover it up, I want it cured. TMJ is not a dental problem as no dentist has helped me but I have helped them with my money. Try some physiotherapy and a TENS machine. I am still trying to find a physio that can treat TMJ.
|

Yes you all say something different and that why I am still suffering with it. Been there and done that. Meanwhile your patient is having her third othordontics, how much has she paid already? About $21,000? That's a down payment on a house and up above, an 18 year will not be able to afford that. What about the ones who don't work. Please don't give this kid up above false hope as the dentists have given me. Your work may have helped some but it may not help others but they only realise that after spending so much money first. One of TMJ causes IS arthritis.
|

Ssprings wrote:
Yes you all say something different and that why I am still suffering with it. Been there and done that. Meanwhile your patient is having her third othordontics, how much has she paid already? About $21,000? That's a down payment on a house and up above, an 18 year will not be able to afford that. What about the ones who don't work. Please don't give this kid up above false hope as the dentists have given me. Your work may have helped some but it may not help others but they only realise that after spending so much money first. One of TMJ causes IS arthritis.

I realize you're frustrated that you've spent a lot of money without great results, but no need to take out your frustration on 2netta. She's been helping a lot people on this forum and not charging anyone a dime for her advice... Would you prefer she not recommend treatment just because it will cost money and doesn't have a 100% success rate for everyone?
|