Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diabetic Diet Forum

Fruit in diabetic diet ?

Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
User Profile
can a patient of diabetes melitus have watermelon in his diet??? what all friuts can that patient consume??
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile reetanshi1429
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi reetanshi1429... Unsweetned natural apple sauce, is low in carbos...Also fresh apricots as long as you don't have too many...A peach or in the melon family a cup of watermelon would be OK...Cantelope is about the same carbo count as the melon...Add a cup of strawberries to this as they would be OK as long as they have no sugar...

All fruits are high in carbos...They are your enemy and unfortunately show their face in many foods...Stay away from bananas as a medium has three times the amount of one cup of strawberries...Unfortunately the things that taste the best are always loaded with carbos...My husband is pre-diabetic so I know a bit about it...I found that once you get used to this new diet it really doesn't bother you...Take care...

Caroline
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
thank you for your help....it was of great help...
take care
|

replied May 10th, 2010
how can i conceve after second baby?i m 29 yrs.
|

replied May 10th, 2010
hi,im 29 i have 2daughter.i wanna have 1 baby boy.since last 2yrs im trying to conceve but nothing happens.while intercorce the semen comes out quickly.pls let me know what to do?
|

replied January 7th, 2011
too sweet fruits are not allowed for diabetic patient
following can be allowed:
The following fruit servings contain about 15 grams of carbohydrates:

* 1/2 medium banana
* 1/2 cup (83 grams) cubed mango
* 1 1/4 cup (190 grams) cubed watermelon
* 1 1/4 cup (180 grams) whole strawberries
* 1/3 cup (80 grams) sapodilla (chikoo)
* 3/4 cup (124 grams) cubed pineapple
|

replied January 12th, 2011
fruits are best alternative for sugar and very helpful and useful for diabetic patients.
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Your carbohydrate intake at each meal should be limited to what you can handle without going out of normal blood sugar range. By this I mean what is normal for normal people - not what is deemed to be good enough for diabetics.

This is an individual response, which has to be measured to be accurate. Details of how to do this are elsewhere on the same site.
|

replied January 27th, 2011
CarolineEF wrote:
Hi reetanshi1429... Unsweetned natural apple sauce, is low in carbos...Also fresh apricots as long as you don't have too many...A peach or in the melon family a cup of watermelon would be OK...Cantelope is about the same carbo count as the melon...Add a cup of strawberries to this as they would be OK as long as they have no sugar...

All fruits are high in carbos...They are your enemy and unfortunately show their face in many foods...Stay away from bananas as a medium has three times the amount of one cup of strawberries...Unfortunately the things that taste the best are always loaded with carbos...My husband is pre-diabetic so I know a bit about it...I found that once you get used to this new diet it really doesn't bother you...Take care...

Caroline

yes it is good i am agree with you valuable comments
|

User Profile
replied April 28th, 2011
wrsghvfxcnhfjh
|

replied May 26th, 2011
Fresh fruits are good sources of natural sugar over processed sugar. Avoid too sweet fruits, but watery fruits like banana, watermelon, pineapple are OK for you.
Take care!
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
Do you have a dietitian or a nutritionist? Do you count carbs? If you have a nutritionist or a diabetes educator, ask them what fruits you should incorporate into your diet. Fruits have important nutrients, but they also have a lot of sugar, which can raise your blood sugar. It's probably best to eat them with your regular meal and substitute them for some other carbohydrate. For example, if you normally have a whole wheat bagel at breakfast, maybe have half of it and a piece of fruit instead.

If you are counting carbs, a great resource is the US Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Database, you can just search for it. They have basically every fruit, vegetable, grain, or other agricultural product on there, along with a lot of other foods. You can look them up by volume or by weight and they will give you the full nutritional value. I've found that all the commercial websites are terrible for non-processed food values, even the one the nutritionist recommended.

One thing our nutritionist said to avoid was fruit juices, since they have a ton of sugar and you don't get some of the good stuff you get from eating the whole fruit, like fiber. So instead of orange juice, eat an actual orange.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Experienced User
I think for diabetics watermelon will work as a natural sweetener. Many people are have doubt of fruits, because it contains little sugar but I think is is not harmful for health for diabetics. It you have any doubt about this concern your doctor or health experts.
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
People used to think that it was just sugar that was the issue for diabetics, now we know that it is carbohydrates in general that need to be watched. Watermelon, candy, bread, pasta, fruit juice, soda, a sugar cube, it all has carbs, some with more sugar than others, but it will all raise your blood glucose. Don't think that just because something is "natural" that it is necessarily better. It all counts.

I'm not saying it's harmful for their health if it fits into their diet plan, but it's not a sugar alternative the way you are suggesting. You say that fruit has "a little sugar," but that is not true. A cup of peeled orange, for example, has about 14 grams of sugar or the equivalent of 3 1/2 teaspoons of sugar. Now, you get all the vitamins, fiber, and other good things that come with the orange, but that certainly doesn't mean that there isn't sugar in there. Again, it all counts.

I do agree with one thing: consult the experts if you have questions.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
It is a common myth that if you have diabetes you shouldn't eat certain foods because they are "too sweet." Some fruits do contain more sugar than others, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them if you have diabetes. The total amount of carbohydrates affects blood sugar levels more than does the source of carbohydrates or whether the source is a starch or sugar.

One serving of fruit should contain 15 grams of carbohydrates. The size of the serving depends on the carbohydrate content of the fruit. The advantage of eating a low-carbohydrate fruit is that you can consume a larger portion. But whether you eat a low-carb or high-carb fruit, as long as the serving size contains 15 grams of carbohydrates, the effect on your blood sugar is the same.
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Thank you guys for such good and informative replies I too wanted to know about the list of foods that can be taken while you are diabetic. I appreciate all of you for your efforts thanks.
|

User Profile
replied October 22nd, 2013
Experienced User
All fruits and vegetables can be eating, if everything is balanced. The recommendation to avoid carrots, peas and bananas works for people who don't bother to pay attention to what they eat, so hard rules are needed.

If you put the effort into balancing your carbs, planning your meals and watching your sugars, there is no reason why you can't eat watermelon, bananas and sweet potatoes.

Just remember, the high the carbs in a fruit or vegetables, the less you can eat and be in balance. As an occasional treat, a higher carb fruit may work well for you.
|

replied January 21st, 2014
Potatoes, corn, and peas are higher in calories than other vegetables they can help you to minimize blood sugar and even throw your disease into reverse. Black bean, split pea, or lentil soup are prove to beneficial for such problems.
|
Quick Reply