Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Polio Forum

From JP w/ Polio.... again.

User Profile
I am in my second round of Physical Therapy. I am a dream patient and follow instructions. What the Therapist asks me to do, I DO. Starting last January, 2010 I worked on my neck and shoulders. Due to 40+ years of working bent over the pharmacy counter, I had a "head forward" posture. My neck and shoulder muscles were weak and there was a lot of pain. The pain affected my life. In the evenings, I was a mean old man. I mistreated my wife and was ashamed every morning.
I am pleased that I am stronger now than I have been in 20 years. The pain is gone. I am now addressing the pain in my hips, thighs and hamstrings that I experience after a day at work. This round will be easier. I now am very clear of the value of doing the exercises no matter how they hurt. This will take weeks, not months.
Last week, I was talking to my therapist and mentioned how disappointing it is that I babied my legs for three decades. She asked me why and I told her that every doctor told me that exercise was not a good thing for my leg muscles.
She gave me a stunned look, "That is the exact opposite of the truth.".
A word to the wise, vet your doctors.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper onwheels
|

replied February 9th, 2011
Yes, I too had/have Polio, at a very young age, 2 or 3 yr's old, and I've had night braces on both feet, and the pain was unbelieveable as my parents didn't know what to do, and when I began doing the excerises and making my legs stronger, I've realized that I was actually making them weaker from the work that I was doing, I am 63 and still in an motorized wheelchair, as now it has effected my legs and upper shoulders and left arm-hand, what a mess I had become, but I still have my sense of humor, and I was once told by a Doctor that I need to hang on to my sense of humor as that is the only glue holding my pieces togather...
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Polio , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.