Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

fresh vs. old sperm

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
Hello - I am trying to get pregnant and my husband and I are wanting to know if it makes a difference or not if his sperm is days old or if its best if it is fresh sperm?

Hoping this makes sense - If we have sex on Monday, would it be best for him to ejaculate the day before to be sure the sperm is fresher or is the sperm stronger if he doesn't ejaculate for a few days before we have sex?

Thank you for you time, we look forward to your response.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper bannysmom
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2009
Supporter
It doesn't matter if it's old or fresh. His body is constantly creating and reabsorbing semen. However, having less sex can give sperm a chance to build up in his system. "If your partner's sperm count is low or marginal, you may be advised to have intercourse every other day to allow his sperm count to build up. Your doctor may even recommend that your partner refrain from ejaculating during the days leading up to your most fertile period."
But he should not go more than a few days without ejaculating. "Studies have shown that abstaining from sex for more than seven days can decrease the male partner's fertility. Any gain in sperm counts from lack of use is more than offset by the increased number of aged sperm cells with lower fertilization potential."
(diybaby.com)
Good luck and happy baby making!
|
Did you find this post helpful?