Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

fresh fruit smoothies

Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....
I blend fresh fruits to make myself a smoothie;
a mango, a kiwi, an apple and some blackberries.....is this healthy or fattening?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2010
I'd say very healthy..I persoanlly do this and also throw in a spoonful of fresh ground flaxseed or a spoonful of almond of peanut butter. The fat/ protein will slow the absorbtion thus lowering the GI of the meal. a few years back I did a 90% fruit diet. I lost 40 lbs over 4 mos and never felt healthier in my life. I am also a type I diabetic. fruit is full of sugar but its natural sugar and as long as the insulin= carbs it doesn't matter. In my case the overall calorie consumption was much lower even thought I ate as much as I wanted.
|

replied July 28th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi Smoothie Lovers!

I'm a smoothie fan too. Smile

GCA: smoothies are a great way to lose weight.

RAEG: your mixture is absolutely healthy. And it sounds really yummy too. Smile

Hey, can I ask you guys a question. Trying to come up with a good title/headline for a smoothies page. I have like 20... but now I can choose. Would you guys be willing to help me out? Let me know! I won't post them yet Smile
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Fruit smoothies are definitely healthy and it's a fun way of chugging down your much needed amount of vitamins and fiber. But to be sure, just don't overdo things. Fruits are still good sources of sugar and moderation is still advised to achieve maximum health results.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Experienced User
That's very true mmopiniano!

You do have to be careful with the overall sugar content of your smoothies because you may end up chugging empty calories and loads of unneeded sugar!

You can avoid this though, by checking on the fruit you use, and mixing your fruit with some vegetables. If you use things like yogurt, you have to make sure it's unsweetened and fat free. Smile
|
Tags: Nutrition
Quick Reply