Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Frequently losing voice

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I am a 35 year old woman, who every time I get sick with Bronchitis I loose my voice, this is a recent thing and has happened only in the last year although I have gotten sick 4 or 5 time in the last year and have lost my voice for up to a week. is this something I should worry about and what can I do to prevent it from happening again. Or do you think it could be stress related i normally get ill right after a particularlly stressfull time in my life.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A9938
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.com

Bronchitis to cause voice problems is unusual. Laryngitis (inflammation of voice box) usually produces loss of voice. Acute laryngitis is due to vocal misuse, viral infections and exposure to noxious agents which lead to chronic laryngitis. Cigarette smoking, polluted air can also cause chronic laryngitis. Rarely systemic diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, gastrointestinal reflux disease and irritation from asthma inhalers can also cause this.

In inflammation of vocal cords, they become swollen and their vibration is affected. Treatment of infections, complete voice rest, inhaling humidifiers, cessation of smoking, and treatment of acid reflux disease in those people with it will help regaining the voice and limit the damage.

Dietary restrictions like avoiding caffeine, fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint and irregular meals will also help. Enough hydration with 6-9 glasses of water is important. Hope this information is useful. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.